Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-27-2003, 04:18 AM
Inactive User

Default Automatic Tranny Behind A Cummins

Hey all. I am looking at a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel with an Automatic behind it. This truck has a Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear with 3.55 gears and a posi in the rear. It has a 3 inch lift with 33" BFGoodrich Mud Terrains. I have heard both good and bad about the automatics behind the Cummins, and I thought I'd come here to get some help. I don't pull anything, but I have always wanted a Cummins and this one is in my price range. Anything you can tell me about how long the trannies last, if they are junk, if they will do just fine, etc..., will be greaty appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eric
Old 11-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Inactive User

Just plan on doing trans work and then you won't be disapointed when it happens.
Actually there are a lot of the Cummins/auto's going and they have 150,000 miles.
The factory has some quality control issues that allow internal leaks which is a big player in the life and failure of them.
The aftermarket has a few real knowlegdeable trans builders that can make it stand up to more than 1000 lb./ft. And they are everyday drivable!!!!
In stock form, the torque converter is too weak then the owner adds power and it gets real bad quick.
The tall tires it has are tough on the stock trans with a Cummins.
If you buy, make sure you keep the engine above 1700-1800.This means shifting it-by foot presure on the throttle- above 2200.

BTW, I have a 02 that I bought new that is just like what you are looking at , except I'm still running 265 tires.
I have had the trans out just to improve it and put acorrect converter in it.
It is twice the truck now.
40,000 miles
Old 11-29-2003, 01:16 AM
Inactive User

The automatics have been suspect and can break,BUT,there are a few quality automatic diesel trans builder that can just about make your tranny bulletproof.Now we all know things will still break after enhancing them,but, chances will be minimumal afterward.

3 top tranny builders are B-D Power,Bill Kondolay of Diesel Trans Technology and Suncoast Transmissions.Bill K's trannies are legendary among the TDR gang and some of the toughest built.B-D Power has some guys making big swat with their pieces.Suncoast is new to the diesel performance scene and will offer a lifetime warranty,provided your on the up and up about your plans and how much hp you have or plan to make.Now there is a wild card out there also and they are called ATS transmission from Denver.They have a triple lok convertor and are ok,but, not many of the big power players use them.

I have myself seen a Bill K tranny make 885.9 hp and 1389tq on a Dynojet,so the trannies can be made to handle power.Research,ask alot of questions and spend your money wisely and you'll have the time of your life with this truck.As I write this I am currently working on the owner of a 01 Sport SB quad auto for myself to go along with my stick truck.time to build a automatic truck for playtime.......BRM