Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

Help 727 Auto/Manual Valve Body?

I'm sure this topic has been posted before but your going to run into the same topics every-now and then with 26,000 plus members

Question: I was thinking of buying a Auto/Manual Valve body for my 1970 Challenger 440 Magnum 727 - which make, I'm not 100% sure of I've had a look at the TCI Street Fighter and that looks like the one for my Trans
What benefits will I gain from installing a A/M Valve Body? Is it worth it, does it put stress on the trans or does it actually do it some good? Does changing gears stay exactly the same - Auto and able to shift using the slap-stik or do I lose the Auto mode all together and have to shift manually all the time?
Also why do it? My car won't see the strip and will be driven everyday and hopefully will be around the low 12 second 1/4 range, so do I really need one?
Main thing is I don't want to put unneeded stress on the trans and will my 0-60mph change at all with this installed?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this confusing Transmission accessory,
Cheers,
KIWI
Old 11-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Banned

SAVE yurrr $$ NZ.

Just boost your line pressure up(on the drivers side of the valve body) a tad and buy a higher-UPshift govener(sp) package.

You will be PLEASED.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Cheers Mister.....

I have already brought a TCI Valve Body improver kit - but it is not installed (resto), where do I buy an upshift govener package or at least read up on them - TCI?
I won't need any tools to change the line pressure? Or is this something that needs to be done professionally, because I don't want to stuff something up, the interior fine, the body fine, trans - not good
Old 11-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Banned

Re: 727 Auto/Manual Valve Body?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NZ 440R/T

Question: I was thinking of buying a Auto/Manual Valve body for my 1970 Challenger 440 Magnum 727 - which make, I'm not 100% sure of I've had a look at the TCI Street Fighter and that looks like the one for my Trans

Go for it. It's the best for your set up.

What benefits will I gain from installing a A/M Valve Body?

Faster solid real frim shifts over a stock valve body.

Is it worth it, does it put stress on the trans or does it actually do it some good?

It's very much worth it. Eaasier to install than a kit. No extra stress on your tranny. Actually a firm fast shift is good for your tranny. Soft long shifts slip the clutches more and cause undo wear.

Does changing gears stay exactly the same - Auto and able to shift using the slap-stik or do I lose the Auto mode all together and have to shift manually all the time?

If you buy a manual/ auto valve body you can do either shift or auto, it's up to you. If you buy a full manual only you have to shift all the time. Even with a low band apply feature it is dangerous for street use.

Also why do it? My car won't see the strip and will be driven everyday and hopefully will be around the low 12 second 1/4 range, so do I really need one?
Main thing is I don't want to put unneeded stress on the trans and will my 0-60mph change at all with this installed?

0 to 60 will be quicker than a stock valve body due to quicker firmer shifting.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this confusing Transmission accessory,
Cheers,
KIWI

Still confused there, NZ ??
Old 11-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Banned

NZ............can you sell that TCI plate kit? it is really uNnecessary !!

The gov ?...........best place would be A&A trans in IN, USA. They sell them at ALL shift points UP TO 6800 - if memory serves.

Changing line pressure is just a matter of a allen screw INSIDE of the trans........ EZ to get to and DO - w/o pulling the VB.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

CHEERS GUYS

No that seems fairly straight forward DW

Yes I could sell that TCI Kit - but why is it unnecessary?
I thought that would be very good for it - it has special shift valve springs and regulator springs, new clutch bands etc how can this be bad?
I'm more in the way of wanting to get one because a lot of people change from there stock valve body
Old 11-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Banned

You should not sell your kit if you need a rebuild or just want it freshened up. It has all he right parts you need for a performance build that will last. Cant blame you for wanting a better, faster, firmer shifting valve body either.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dwc43
You should not sell your kit if you need a rebuild or just want it freshened up. It has all he right parts you need for a performance build that will last. Cant blame you for wanting a better, faster, firmer shifting valve body either.
Cheers DW, So can I have both? TCI Improver kit AND a Auto/Manual Valve body?
I should probably wait to see what differences I get from the Improver kit first and then get a Vavle body - (maybe), A little bit worried about Misters comment on how I don't need it, I thought it would be good for a freshen up, crisp shifts and trans life extention

You'll probably laugh but I still don't fully understand the stall?
This is what I know - Your stall is where you put one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas, gradually put some pressure on the gas and keep your foot firmly on the brake then my rpm's will start to climb when the car starts to move thats where my stall speed is, I think?
I haven't tried it before so I don't know what mine is - (damn resto, hurry up) I tried it in my Subaru and it was around 2,000rpm - A Valve body will let you have a higher stall speed - right? and the higher your stall speed the more grunt or speed you will launch with and get out of the gates quicker?

How's that sound?........
Old 11-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned

NZ..is this a VB or whole trans kit?
Old 11-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

It's just a kit from Yearone which cost around $50 - It's got new bands and some other goodies to freashen up the trans and stop the sluggish sloppy shifts and replace them with firm crisp shifts
Old 11-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NZ 440R/T
Cheers DW, So can I have both? TCI Improver kit AND a Auto/Manual Valve body?
I should probably wait to see what differences I get from the Improver kit first and then get a Vavle body - (maybe), A little bit worried about Misters comment on how I don't need it, I thought it would be good for a freshen up, crisp shifts and trans life extention

You'll probably laugh but I still don't fully understand the stall?
This is what I know - Your stall is where you put one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas, gradually put some pressure on the gas and keep your foot firmly on the brake then my rpm's will start to climb when the car starts to move thats where my stall speed is, I think?
I haven't tried it before so I don't know what mine is - (damn resto, hurry up) I tried it in my Subaru and it was around 2,000rpm - A Valve body will let you have a higher stall speed - right? and the higher your stall speed the more grunt or speed you will launch with and get out of the gates quicker?

How's that sound?........
Well, you dont really need a stall just to install a valve body. The stall kinda works like a manual car where you hold the clutch in rev it up and then dump the clutch. Kinda like that, but not really. Your cam and gear selection dictates he stall speed you need. Best to give that info to TCI and let them pick out what you need. They have picked out some good ones for me over the years.
I would still get the valve body too.It will be a bigger improve ment over just using the included valve body add on pieces in your race kit. The valve body will have better flow over your stock unit.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

I thought this would help......

Here is a link to Yearone and the product I have brought
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=1

The link didn't work but type in the part number in the search box:

PART NUMBER = TK22
Old 11-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Banned

A whole trans kit from Y O for 50 beans ??!! ......I'd like to see THIS .....do you have a link?
Old 11-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Inactive User

Cheers DW, So stall is the Autos answer to dumping the clutch
I could probably get away with not getting my stall looked at for now.
The link didn't work - The part number is TK22 in the quick search folder

So I can still get the Vavle body as well as having my Improver kit, by the sounds of things I should wait until I get a Valve body before putting in the Kit because that just means I'm wasting the kit on the Valve body I won't be using
Old 11-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:

The valve body will have better flow over your stock unit.

FIDDLEsticks ! ..............
Old 11-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Inactive User

So many people use After market Valve bodies thats what got me thinking

Am I correct about the stall speed aye? I'm pretty sure thats what the stall is -
Old 11-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Banned

Hay NZ....are you going to take advice from a guy who probably doesn't know a 1-2 shift valve from a cylinder head valve or someone who has done hundreds of these things?

That TK22 kit does NOT have any clutches or bands....according to YO.

IMO - that kit you have is a WASTE of money.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Inactive User

I thought it would do my Trans good - It can't wreck the trans right? I guess not other wise they wouldn't make them
I was going to get a B&M Shift kit, but this is a shift kit and then some

The kit includes:
# Pan Gasket
# Filter
# RR Servo spring - (neutral)
# Ft. Servo spring - (brown)
# Throttle Pressure spring(s) - Early, Late and limit Valve spring.
# 1-2 Shift Valve Governor plug, Late.
# 1-2 Shift Vavle Governor plug, Early.
# Rod, Accumulator blocker.
# Snap ring, Cupped Orifice Plug, Rear Servo shim (2)
Old 11-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Banned

That's a good kit, but I thought you had the other one with the race bands and clutches for your rebuild of the whole tranny. You should get that to beef up your tranny and them install the vavle body to get the most from it.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Nope silly me I assumed it came with those, will this kit still be good for cripser shifts? Or is Mister right should I sell it and buy a "complete" Trans rebuild kit WITH bands and clutches etc?
Old 11-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Banned

It is better than what your stock tranny has, but with the complete kit and a new valve body it will be much better and can be more customized to fit your needs. It's really up to you, but I'd sell it and get the complet kit and hte auto/manual valve body.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

OK I'm starting to get somewhere

Do TCI make any kits? And are they called Transmission Re-build kits?

So that obviously won't put any stress on the trans will it? It has to be good for it - do you know what they usually cost?

Sounds cool
Old 11-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Banned

Yes, it's called the pro super kit. It has the bands,clutches,gaskets,filters, and shift improvers. This is what I thought you had. You need this and a manual/auto valve body and your done. http://www.tciauto.com/service_kits/index.htm

That should get you what you need. Cheers mate.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:44 PM
Inactive User

YOUR A BLOODY LEGEND!!

Quote:
Yes, it's called the pro super kit. It has the bands,clutches,gaskets,filters, and shift improvers. This is what I thought you had. You need this and a manual/auto valve body and your done. http://www.tciauto.com/service_kits/index.htm

That should get you what you need. Cheers mate.
Cheers Mate That makes the Trans-Scat kit look weak and silly
I will buy one of those Pro Super Kits as you can see from the link you gave me it does EVERYTHING Once it is installed I will see how it goes and I might not feel that I need the Valve body

Thanks DW.........
Old 11-29-2003, 11:49 PM
Banned

Welcome NZ, anytime.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

.......PS = Hey DW I was looking at the link at which one suits my Trans - Chrysler Torqueflite 727, 1962-70, 19 spline (non lock-up)

# How do I tell if my Trans is a non lock-up and has 19 splines?

I guess it's for my trans because I can't see any other kit for my year

Sorry about all these little questions mate - it's just I want to be sure of what I'm putting into my baby and I want to fully understand it myself, also I don't want to and can't afford to waste any more $$$
Old 11-30-2003, 04:41 PM

The TCI shift kit is OK but the TransGo TF-2 kit is a better kit.
For the best prices on quality rebuild parts and shift kits try bulkpart:

http://www.bulkpart.com/

The TF-2 kit is only $44 from them and they have any combo of rebuild parts.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NZ 440R/T
.......PS = Hey DW I was looking at the link at which one suits my Trans - Chrysler Torqueflite 727, 1962-70, 19 spline (non lock-up)

# How do I tell if my Trans is a non lock-up and has 19 splines?

I guess it's for my trans because I can't see any other kit for my year

Sorry about all these little questions mate - it's just I want to be sure of what I'm putting into my baby and I want to fully understand it myself, also I don't want to and can't afford to waste any more $$$
NZ look at the two little cuts on the snout of your converter where it slides into the pump. If both pump drive notches are the same size it's non lock up. If one is big and one is smaller then it's a lock up. They made them like this to prevent installing the wrong one in the wrong tranny. They cant be swapped, since they want fit. You cant go wrong with this complete kit. I think you'll really like it once it's done. No cheap junk used in these kits.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

Cheers DW, I'll check it out - It has to be a non lock-up, 19 spline because they don't make any other kit's for my year? 71-up 80-etc

Yip I'm pretty hooked on buying the Pro Kit that does it all, and I'll probably leave the Valve body (for now) I'm sure this kit will be what I need and then some.

So if that Kit does pretty much everything why do I need the Valve body? What's that going to do?
Will it just make all the parts in the kit work a lot better.......

Cheers DW

PS: Thanks for the link and input John Kunkel
Old 11-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Banned

The valve body just has better flow and will shift a little faster than the stock one. I'd do the kit like you said and see howyou like it. You can always put in the valve body latter on if you dont like it.