Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

Default oil filters

OK everyone always debates over what OIL to buy, but what is the best oil filter to use?

I ve been using Fram but i hear they are not a good filter to use. I hear Wix is a good filter and have heard rumor that wix makes mopar filters?? any input to any of this?????????????????
Old 12-09-2003, 11:13 AM

MOPAR filters are made by the cheapest supplier at the time of contract renegotiations. It could be WIX one year, Fram the next, etc... Just like a box of choclates, you never know what you'll get...

WIX is one of the better brands.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

What about all out race motors? I have been running that Fram HP filter is there one better.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:58 PM

I've been using the Mobil1 filters but, may change to another based on this site: http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

interesting data, does anyone know of a professional study done of oil filters?
Old 12-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

there is an oil filter study floating around out there, but last time I saw it mentioned on this bb, it caused a flame war..

.this guy actually cut them open and analyzed their construction and materials used,but many here questioned his methods. I never saw another study, maybe consumer reports? they test lots of stuff
Old 12-09-2003, 05:45 PM

The filter "study" on the site posted above is the questionable one; very unscientific.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
I beleave that this is the web site that that people are refering to.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Default ?

I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but I have seen a couple of situations where I've had low oil pressure after doing an oil & filter change, and changing out the Fram filter, cured the problem. I won't buy them any more.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Inactive User

Ive been hearing alot of negative things about fram. I thought they were a good filter until i started reading all this stuff. I guess they just advertise alot better than the others. I thought better of Mopar filters also. I probably wont be buying either anymore.
I would still like to find an actual scientific study done by professionals (professional oil filter studier?? lol ) and see witch filter is the best bang for my buck.
most people say the K&N and the Mobil are good , but they are expensive..
Old 12-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Inactive User

Your engine also looks to be really expensive going by your sig?

How much is the price difference, i thought it was a matter of a few bucks?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Inactive User

OH, im not worried about my cuda, ill pay 50 bucks for an oul filter for that one. it doesnt get changed that often, my everyday driver however gets changed alot cus I put alot of miles on it. It gets changed once every month and a half or so. that adds up when you are talking about 3 or 4 bucks. I use mobil 1 oil, but now im rethinking my filter situation. , my wife's car gets changed just as often also. so that is 2 cars that need filters.. see my point.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Banned

Re: oil filters

Quote:
Originally posted by jleilich
OK everyone always debates over what OIL to buy, but what is the best oil filter to use?

I ve been using Fram but i hear they are not a good filter to use. I hear Wix is a good filter and have heard rumor that wix makes mopar filters?? any input to any of this?????????????????
Frams work just fine. Been using them for 18 years and my Dad used them even longer than that. We've had many vehicles live way past 200,000 with them and we use them on all of our race cars.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by d.friction
What about all out race motors? I have been running that Fram HP filter is there one better.
We have been using Fram filters for around 14 years in our drag, dirt and asphault race cars. Never had a failure due to a filter. You have no reason to worry. They make a good product.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:28 PM

Default Filters and oil

I work in the oil industry and all mineral oil is from one base oil then additive packages are use to change qualities like viscosity antiwear antifoam are added to the oil base to make the different grades.

The synthetics are pulled from one type of oil molecule ( can't remember exact one ) then altered to make it. I'll get the names and other info tonight and post.

As far as the filter, a brand name Fram, Wix, Purolator, AC Delco, Mopar, Motorcraft as long as changed regularly should pose no real problem. IMO your milage will vary.

In racing oil pressure might dictate a stronger filter case but other wise very similar results, may not bypass as early
media maybe able to handle greater pressure diferential across media.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

I've been using the Mobil 1 filter on my Neon R/T and Shelby Z and a Fram on my Roadrunner and haven't had any problems with either of them.

What thoughts do you/anyone have on Amsoil and their 25,000+ mile oil change interval BS?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 71RR
What thoughts do you/anyone have on Amsoil and their 25,000+ mile oil change interval BS?
I'm no oil expert, it could be a good product. What I understand its not the oil "wearing" out its the contaminants ie acids that ruin the oil. Not changing the filter every time leaves approximately one quart of contaminated oil in your system. In addition I wonder how much sludge, metal shavings etc it could store. That mileage period is like running 8 filters worth of junk into one filtering system. Its just me, but I wouldn't run ANY filter for more than one oil change.

How much does it cost, Amsoil products are generally more expensive than usual, and have a very good reputation. One question comes up... how many Purulator or ???? filters can you buy for the same amount?

Maybe you could post this question on: www.bobistheoilguy.com Maybe they've already covered this subject over there.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:43 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 71RR

It's just that. B.S.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

at least the fram is street hemi orange!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Unhappy

Fram used to have a quality product and a very good reputation. When Allied Signal bought them their quality went into the dumper. I had read the above mentioned oil filter study and didn't want to believe it. I had a few Fram filters laying around so I figured I would use them up. I changed the oil & filter on my 91 Spirit. the very next time I cold started the car, I Had a tappet noise until the car warmed up. I changed the filter the next day and put on one of the STP filters (made by Champion Labs) and bingo! no more cold start tappet noise. I had read the "oil filter study" on the Allpar website. A guy who identified himself as an employee of Allied Signal replied to the "oil filter study" and confirmed the results and said the anti drain back valving in the Fram filters has a better than 50% failure rate. He also said that the "HP" filters that Fram makes are nothing but their standard(substandard?) filter but with a heavier guage can. I will never screw on another Fram filter onto any vehicle I own.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Inactive User

Default Amsoil

I use their filters but not the oil.
My thinking is, if it filters well for 25,000 miles then it should REALLY keep the oil clean at 3,000 mile intervals.

Cleaner oil=longer life.