Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:54 AM
islcuda

Smile another eddelbrock head ?

Okay guys, 67 cuda for race only, have 72 440, stock rods, stock pistons,etc. Crower cam, not sure of specifics, fairly mild though, head # not sure, but ported without a bench. Compression is 8.5 to 1, race weight is 3100 ilbs at garbage dump scale. Would it improve the car with eddelbrock aluminum heads or not? Also am running 700 double pump holley with 2 inch hooker headers and 4.56 gears. Currently ran 12.3 at 2300 feet with consistent 1.7 60 foots, have to purchase something for xmas, can,t do a lot but was wondering what you fellas thoughts would be, thanks Tim
Old 12-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: another eddelbrock head ?

Short answer, Yes..

Long answer follows...

[Okay guys, 67 cuda for race only, have 72 440, stock rods, stock pistons,etc. Crower cam, not sure of specifics,}

Need to know to get max. from your setup.

{fairly mild though, head # not sure, but ported without a bench.}

Without flow numbers you can tell how much better the edels. would be.

{Compression is 8.5 to 1,}

8.5 to 1 measured? or just what you were told..kinda low if your using a big cam (over .490 lift)

{race weight is 3100 ilbs at garbage dump scale. Would it improve the car with eddelbrock aluminum heads or not?}

Yes they would help..I would say they would flow better then the ported stock head(without the bench porting) You would be saving weight.

{Also am running 700 double pump holley with 2 inch hooker headers and 4.56 gears}

The 700 cfm should support your 440 up to 5500rpm but anything above that I would go bigger, 2" headers seems kinda big for your low compression..4.56 gears is kinda low unless you have a tall tire..

{Currently ran 12.3 at 2300 feet with consistent 1.7 60 foots, have to purchase something for xmas, can,t do a lot but was wondering what you fellas thoughts would be, thanks Tim]

Final thought..
Get the cam specs. and do a cyc. pressure test..See if its low (around 130 psi) If it is, change to a smaller cam to get the cyc. pressure up around 185psi.(if the motor is still together)
If the motor is apart, measure the compression and match the cam to that...

With the limited info. you have given, its seems that you have the makings for a high rpm motor but are short on compression and carb...Dig alittle deeper and see what you really have. sometimes bigger is not better..

disclamer:
The above is just my opinion with the given information at hand...Subject to change at anytime for any reason.
Good luck.
Joe
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
islcuda

Smile

Thanks wedge 440, I will do some more homework. Old owner said 20 thou was shaved off heads, to get that #, also crower cam with 506 lift, not to sure of lift and duration as he didn,t have cam card. The motor flattens off at 6500, could be valve float or like u say carb is to small, reason being was on the motor and plunked it in the car wired it, fired it up and ran great all year long. The reasons for the bigger hedders was to buy one set of hedders for later engine work and be done with it as wanted whole package to fit in between the front roll cage. I have not done any test on the motor except change oil , put gas in it and go. The motor is still in car, and am going to pull next week to check bottom end and hopefully all is well and was hoping set of eddy heads would improve things, thanks Tim
Old 12-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Inactive User

Find out what heads are on the car now (open or closed)

6500 in my opinion is as high are you need to go and are going to go on stock, pistons, rods and crank the deration of your cam is probibly near 250 @50 the the low compression of you motor I would try to get a high lift low deration cam.
I would like to see more compretion from the motor secially with Eddy heads that 8.5 to1 is not going to fly real well in an aluminum head. I am guessing that If they took 20k off the head to get 8.5 that they are open chamber and the close Eddy's at 84cc will only give you about the same compretion. It means doing a whole host of other things but I would do a piston swap. But that starts the slippery slope. One thing you might look into is a set of real trick iron head.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:52 PM
islcuda

Smile

Yes you are right friction, the slippery slope would continue until I had a whole new motor in there, been there done that.Yup 6500 is plenty for this motor, I found accually by setting my shift light at 5800 I was at 62 or so byt the time I accually shifted so it was or is perfect. Once I pull the motor and start doing some resresearch I should learn more. Some trick heads would do the trick too, and or a new cam also. It would be nice to do it all but the thing ran so dam good, but always looking for more the cheapest way. I guess all in all I should be satisfied with what I have for now and keep on having fun, thanks Tim