Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-02-2000, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

Hey dude, every year in April road warriors come to Arizona in the Spring to drive the longest remaining stretch of uninterrupted Route 66...the 158 miles from Seligman to Topock. Does this still go on? I'm a member of Missouri's chapter. I've always lived on 66. I would suspect that you are a member of Arizona's chapter since that's where the associations started and you like nostalgia. There's a chapter in every one of the 8 states it went through. In your state they do a great cruise including burnouts at the start of the cruise. I usually do the cruise from St. Louis to Oklahoma once a year. Most people don't know that you can drive most of the Main Street of America still if you have the maps. The Mother Road got us driving further from home to see the USA in our Chevrolet, but a Mopar was the fastest way. MOC

[This message has been edited by moparsofcamelot (edited January 02, 2000).]
Old 01-04-2000, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Unfortunately I am not a member of this fine upstanding organization. I am not a native Arizonan, just a Michigan farm boy transplant. I will have to take this event in sometime soon. I do remember driving the Mother Road in 1970 with a couple of other fiddle footed crazies, there was a lot more of it then than now....mores the pity.

The Old Hippie Hisself

------------------
the old hippie
Old 01-04-2000, 03:32 AM
Inactive User

Old Hippie, I don't understand the thumbs down icon or the "there was a lot more of it then than now...mores the pity". Did I say something rude that I'm not aware of? Sorry if I did.
MOC
Old 01-04-2000, 04:37 AM
Inactive User

I was in Joplin MO. thanksgiving visiting my motherinlaw & they were route 66 signs on a lot of the streets there but it seemed difficult to stay on it unless you knew the route already.
Old 01-05-2000, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Negative on rude, I think I clicked on the wrong icon and diden't proof read before posting. Mores the pity......well, I think that its a crying shame that the Mother Road is being swallowed up by progress. From what I have read about Rte 66 in recent years there are streaches that we 3 yoyos drove that have been shut down and not maintained. A lot of them run or rather ran parrallel to Interstate 40 which was built largely on the alignment of Old Rte. 66. Does this clear things up?
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

The Old Hippie Hisself
Old 01-05-2000, 02:41 AM
Inactive User

Old Hippie, Sure glad I misunderstood you. Hippie & 360 Duster I have maps drawings, descriptions that I can drive say.. from St. Louis to Oklahoma & drive only 4 miles on interstate. I know alot (I think) about the old highway. Their are lots who know more but I keep finding out more every day. Here's 66. Take a piece of paper draw a zip zag line across it. that would be it going thru 8 states from the lakes in Chicago to Santa Monica in California. Then draw a free hand straight thru the middle of the zig zag and that is the 5 interstates it takes to replace it. I could bore everyone with this so I won't. But my point is the 66 chapters in every single 8 states got the state to put up signs to mark it and reconize it. If they recognize it as Americana than it's going to be a lot tougher for them to crush our cars because their old and emission free.
Thanks for the soapbox.
MOC
PS. You really do need all the maps, etc to navigate Route 66 without guessing, but thier easy to get.

[This message has been edited by moparsofcamelot (edited January 04, 2000).]