Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

Default Milodon deep sump pan

I am thinking of buying a milodon 8 1/4 deep drag race oil pan which has a tie rod tube for the steering drag link to pass through so i can use my dual line swing gate set-up so it doesnt starve for oil. my question is; how much ground clearance would i have for a 68 hemiRR with the standard ride height?? the car will see mostly street.should i fab a skid plate??

thanks
george 68 hemiRR
Old 12-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Banned

Those are race pans and are too low to the ground for street use. THey will even hit on race cars some times and they need askid plate on them for track work. I would look into a low profile or get one from Kevko. We run oval track cars now and we use there pans since our cars sit low to he ground. I think the url is www.kevko.net
Old 12-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

Default dwc43

the only engines they show is the 318,340 &360.nothing for the hemi.
george 68 hemiRR
Old 12-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Banned

That's because the 440 and the Hemi use the same pan. Only difference is that the Hemi uses a 1/2 inch pick up.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

George,

You will need to fab a skid plate for extra protection. This comes from experience with my deep pan bottoming out on the road.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Default dwc43

actually the 383 ,400,413,426wedge,440&426 hemi all use the same pan.those pans on the web site only showed small block pans. thanks for your help

Bagherra; i guess this pan is pretty close to the ground.if i go this route i guess ill fab a skid plate like you said
thanks

george 68hemiRR
Old 12-15-2003, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

I think you're better off with a Moroso pan & pick-up than the dual line, swinging pickup and a full length pan. That's what I'm installing on the new 511 B-1 that's going into my '67 'Cuda. I'm tired of the oil pressure diving during shutdown with the full length Milodon pan & swinging pick-up. Even with the trap door and swinging pick-up, I lose oil pressure when I brake hard for more than 5 seconds. I much prefer a short, deep, sump. I ran a stock oil pan, pick-up and pump on the 440 that was in the 'Cuda and it definitely worked better than the expensive Milodon stuff.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by b-1ken
I think you're better off with a Moroso pan & pick-up than the dual line, swinging pickup and a full length pan. That's what I'm installing on the new 511 B-1 that's going into my '67 'Cuda. I'm tired of the oil pressure diving during shutdown with the full length Milodon pan & swinging pick-up. Even with the trap door and swinging pick-up, I lose oil pressure when I brake hard for more than 5 seconds. I much prefer a short, deep, sump. I ran a stock oil pan, pick-up and pump on the 440 that was in the 'Cuda and it definitely worked better than the expensive Milodon stuff.
I agree with the Moroso for the street as I have one on my 65 Hemi and it works just fine. Ken ( I also get scared when the oil pressure goes low at hard braking in my Kcar. do you have any fixes for the long pan?)
Old 12-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Inactive User

Default B1KEN

This is a deep rear sump pan they call a street-strip drag race pan 8 1/4 deep sump,looks like the B-body pan but has steering link passing through it with two holes in it for swing set-up. Mancini racing sells this pan ,part#MIL31470.i already have the swinging set-up[came with engine when i bought it] the great part about about the rear deep sump with swing arm pick up is when your standing on the brakes,the pick up swings forward and stays in the oil with a deep rear sump,right??

thanks
george 68 hemiRR
Old 12-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Inactive User

I once ran a flat Moroso pan with fixed pick up, had the same problem as Ken with oil pressure drop in the shutdown only mine would drop in 2-3 seconds. An Accusump solved that problem. The next motor got a flat Milodon with a swing pick up and the pressure never dropped while braking. Both of these pans did not have a sump or the tie rod tube as it was a tube chassiscar.
A pal of mine as a Milodon with tie rod tube and swing pick up on his stock chassis A body, ground clearance is real close, becomes a hassle sometimes. He has thought about an LRT tubular K member so he can get rid of the stock steering linkage and the tie rod tube in the pan. This will allow the pan sump depth to be reduced. It's a lot of $ for pan ground clearence, but what he has now is driving him nuts.
I would only use one I the car had a tall front tire , the rules dictated it or the car leaves REAL hard and the oil runs out of the sump to the very back of the motor creating oil pressure loss.

Cecil
Old 12-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Inactive User

Cecil