Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-05-2000, 05:50 AM
Inactive User

I am interested in putting a dual exhaust with crossover system on my 87 Ramcharger. My local exhaust man says that no modification in fron of the cat. converter. I'm from Minnesota. Is this accurate? How can I up grade my system to compliment my new 4 barrel carb and intake? Please e-mail me with suggestions. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2000, 07:34 AM
Inactive User

This is what I did to my 86 Ramcharger... I used the 99 Magnum truck exhaust manifolds,2 1/4" pipe to dual cat converters,2 Street Hemi mufflers,and back out exiting at the stock location behind the rear wheels.I added a chrome pencil tip to each tailpipe.Most of the muffler shops here(Florida)wouldn't do the true duals either for the same reason,but after some looking,I found a shop that would.BTW,I also added a crossover tube between the pipes.I looked for a dual kit for the Ramcharger,but never could find one.I also went to my local Dodge dealer and ordered the factory hangars for the right side,flipped them around,and used them on the left.I had to modify the new tailpipe bracket,but that was minor.Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2000, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

Hey, I did a similar deal on my 84 360 Ramcharger. I tapped and plugged the air injection ports in the heads, bolted up a set of MP headers(which suck) and ran duals out either side of the gas tank skid plate. I also used the factory hangers on the other side. Makes for a neater install. I couldn't get a crossover on mine as it was a government vehicle and has all sorts of skid plates and frame reinforcements that made it interesting to just get two pipes down the sides. I live in Virginia, and we don't have emission testing here yet, so I didn't have any problems. I had a few problems getting it to pass inspection without the air pump and all on it, so I took off the 150 femder emblems and put in 450 ones and told the guy it was a heavy duty government truck. I know dishonest, but I only use the truck for four wheeling in the mountains occasonally. It holds 60 gallons of fuel, and gets 6 MPG, so it's not good for much else.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 01-05-2000, 04:17 PM
Inactive User

Elwenil; you have 60 gallon capacity?? The factory tank is ~35 gallons. Where is the other 25 gallons? Passenger seat? Just kidding. I have put duals on my '83 Ramcharger and highly suggest putting in a crossover pipe. These are also called an "H" pipe. I ran mine for a while without and found a shop that installed one for $20. A noticeable off idle torque increase. From what I have read, the ideal location is found performing the following: spray paint the exhaust pipe with common garden variety paint from the collectors on back 2 feet. Start the engine and run at the RPM that the vehicle will see most of the time. i.e. if you do a lot of freeway driving, check your freeway RPM. Have a second person watch the paint on the pipes for the place that begins to smoke or smoke/burn off first. This is the ideal place for the crossover pipe. On mine, the xfer case was in the way so I had to go back nearly a foot. This addition also quieted my truck slightly.
Old 01-05-2000, 04:53 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, like I said, it's an old government vehicle, and has some rather strange additions to it. I think half of the gas mileage problem is caused by the weight of a full tank alone! It's a freaky, almost tank looking thing that only cost me $1000, and $9000 later it was doing great. At least until someone thought that it would run better if the put a few nuts down the carb. Never did find out who did that, but I'll have murder on my mind if I ever do!

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~