Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-15-1999, 07:39 PM

Someone recently told me that 1 wire (to battery positive) alternators are superior to our mopar kind with external voltage regulator because the current flow is more stable or something. I think this sounds strange because isn't a 1 wire alternator just a standard alternator with a built in regulator? I've seen both kinds for sale for Mopars in Summitt and Jegs-- my question is it for convenience or is there a real advantage to using the one wire kind? Can someone set me straight?
Old 12-15-1999, 08:15 PM
Inactive User

I have heard this and wondered about it also. I know of a few guys that have put Delco alternators on Mopars and said they worked great. I'd sooner die than put some Delco BS on my Mopar, but what about the Nippodensos? (Geez, I hope I spelled that right)
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-15-1999, 09:15 PM

I hear ya about the Delco! I think the ones in the catalogs were aftermarket called Tuff Stuff or something like that.... I'll have to check. I know Nippondenso makes starters (the MP lightweight starter is a Nippondenso), but I don't know if they do alternators.
Old 12-15-1999, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

Most of the new Mopar cars and trucks come with ND alternators new. They aren't that expensive and put out good power in a small package. I've heard of a few racers using them, but they are way different in how they mount up. I suppose I could convert my Magnum over to the factory serpentine belt setup and use the factory brackets, but I don't think it is worth it. Anyone know of anyone offering custom brackets for these things? Is it even worth the effort?
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Old 12-18-1999, 08:28 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hey Guys,

Dodge started putting ND alternators on trucks in '88 (I think). I had one on my '88 D150 w/a 318. I believe it put out 90 amps. It had a double V-belt pulley, and a nice screw adjustable bracket from the factory.Was it any better than the old style alternators? I don't know. But it the truck had aftermarket A/C, and a stereo system that would draw a good 30amps, and I never once had a bit of trouble with running all of it. Even with the headlights and wipers going

[This message has been edited by Nate (edited December 21, 1999).]
Old 12-22-1999, 08:11 AM
Inactive User

All the "old style" alternators were the
same the only difference is the way the
voltage to the field is controlled. The
single wire alts.had one brush grounded to
its case and field voltage is controlled by
a regulator on the hot side(usually a mechanical regulator).The 2 wire system sends
12v to one brush,through the slip ring and
rotor and back out of the alt.via another
insulated brush then to an electronic regulator which regulates the field on the
ground side.These alternators can be used in
place of a single wire by grounding one brush
to the case. Btw those older alts. made upwards of 65A the new Densos can make 140A.
Old 12-23-1999, 02:04 AM

By 1 Wire alternator I was refering to the Race alternators that have only the Batery Hot wire to them. Not the older style Chryler ones.

Moparlar
Old 01-06-2000, 01:45 AM

in regards to changing a two wire chrysler to one, would it be better to ground one of the brushes or rewire the harness to accept it as is? if so what wires would i have to run?