Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Virtual Chrysler Shareholders Meeting!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default Top 5 issues at DCX...

Let us know what the top 5 issues that are on your mind! If you were the CEO of DaimlerChrysler what are the first 5 things you would do? Give us your short list (...or not so short list!)
Old 01-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Inactive User

Impractical, but I would bring back Plymouth, but as a major muscle car brand

A rear wheel drive sexy affordable muscle car to compete with the Mustang. Doesnt matter what it is called just do it.

Get rid of the Intrepid. That model has run its course and needs to be replaced.

More American influence at the top levels of the company.

A spokesman for the company like Iaccoca used to be. Someone that people will listen to
Old 01-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Inactive User

Ditto!

I think Custom880 just summed up the thoughts of all the members of this board!

1 Let Plymouth be the retro/rod/muscle brand (HEMICUDA)

2 Let the red, white and blue be the reason for our car design!

3 Keep the Intrepid as a base model, but put the hottie as the charger (HEMI)

4 forget the crossover crap. Pacifica, no thanks. If I want an SUV, I'll BUY an SUV. Not a half-breed pseudo-minivan! (unless it has a HEMI!)

5 Double ditto! Need Lido back! Get Lutz at least!
Old 01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

#1 Muscle
#2 Cheap
#3 A car that looks like it means business aka Beastie good looks.
#4 RWD, HEMI
#5 Soon.................
Old 01-27-2004, 01:48 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

as far as my gripes..
The STYLING SUCKS on most new DCX products. Most of the cars look like they merged the old Chrysler design with an Audi TT..The styling is too conservative, too blocky and tooo German.
Compare the 300C concept vrs the 300 we are going to get. The conmcept was elegant, the new one looks like a Bently...
Before the germans took over how amny concept cars came out silver???I can think of only 2, the power wagon and the Atlantic. Now they come out silver about 75% of the time.
The reason sailes have fallen behind are as follows
1) they are too slow to release new cars...how long was the LHS, Ram, PT, Neon, or Dakota? in production after the 1998 buyout?
2)They didnt have enough production available to make the PT Cruiser in the quantity the market could have supported the first few years. The first year they made something close to 50,000 of them when 200,000 could have been sold. If they had pushed out 200,000 PTs Chysler wouldnt have had any problems.
3)They should have offered a PT convertable 2 years after the car was released.
4)The Hemi truck isnt any faster than the 360 truck. 16.2 in the 1/4 sucks no matter how nice the sticker on the side reads. Lighten the truck.
5)Not releasing a replacement for the LHS sedan......Rwd or no its just plain stupid to expect a blocky RWD station wagon to fill that void.
The only 2 points I will give the germans is the SRT4 (excellent Job) and the Viper powered Truck....wayyyyyyyy cool. Both are better than anything Chrysler has done(for the price) since the 1970s if EVER. I dont recall too many 60s car handling and breaking right there with the SRT4. The 60s cars did look MUCH better tho.
Rant over
Old 01-31-2004, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Default The first thing that needs to happen

Lose Daimler. Sorry there deiter!
Old 02-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Definitely lose Daimler.

They seem intent on re-inventing the American car market. Pretty soon we're gonna be in Isuzu's shoes. Nobody bought the cars, so all they have os trucks, and not too many of those! PS. I like the Fonz better, NZ.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Definitely lose Daimler.

PS. I like the Fonz better, NZ. [/B][/QUOTE]

And what car did the Fonz think was the coolest??

DeSoto!! I remember an episode where Richie got caught up in a race challenge with a guy who had a hot rod. The only car he had to use was his dads DeSoto. When he told the Fonz in a dissapointed voice that he only had the DeSoto the reply was....Hey DeSoto's are cool. LOL Ya gotta love that! Oh and of course with some magic (and probably a Hemi) the big ole DeSoto won!
Sorry could resist a DeSoto plug!
Old 02-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

I guess it is just me, but I have been scratching my head at what is going on at DC. I am not happy with the current stlying trends. If I want a station wagaon, I'll buy one, if I want a minivan, I'll buy not, not one of these funky, bloated, underpowered hybirds. (pacifica.)

Need to concentrate on quality. Toyota is now number 3, and it is ready to over take ford. People want, and I am one of them, a well made car or truck at an affordable price. I think chrysler can meet that goal. Just look at the past gen of rams. The Q.C. on the 98-01 rams was terrible. I should know, I worked for a D.C. supplier, and they took everything, as long as it bolted onto the car. Didn't matter if it worked or not. I traded my 90 ramcharger in on a newer ram. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Need a better seclection of cars. I currently drive a dodge intriped which I bought new. It is an okay car, but is avg. about two trips to the mechanic a year to fix mechanical problems. This doesn't count preventive maintenance. It does handle really well for a big car.

Need to get models out faster!!!!!!!
Really need to improve the interior quality on the new cars and trucks. I have one word for the interiors that I have seen, Cheap!

Keep manufacturing in the U.S.A.

Sorry so long, just had to rant.

Brian
Old 02-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Inactive User

Default Quality

The top 5 issues at DaimlerChrysler should be quality, quality, quality, quality and quality. I have owned both Mopars and a Mercedes, and I would say the only Mopar that was as prone to failures as the Benz was the Volare/Aspen. The frequency and variety of problems on my C Class was unbelievable, and DaimlerChrysler mistreats their customers to an extent that is shameful.

Take a look at some of the websites critiquing Benz. Their problems extend throughout their model line.

My prediction? The Crossfire is going to be a PR disaster. It will have the same problems as the Benz...excessive pricing coupled with miserable quality. I love the fact that the marketing slogan is 'American styling, German engineering'. They'd better start leaving out that last part.

A year or two from now, you'll be reading articles about what a disaster the Crossfire was.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

To Deiter, Klause, and Franz of Daimlerburger

Make cars look decent! the only new dodge that looks good is the neon srt! That cross fire and that butt ugly stationwagon thing look like crap! Keep the eurotrash in europe. And while they are at it why not add some more cubes to the hemi.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

Yeah!

Right on Rallye!
Old 02-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Inactive User

Pcrmike: Sorry mate I like Angus a hell of a lot better. The Fonz is Fake, Angus isn't. I like Angus not only for his AC/DC contributions but for what he is, There's no guitar player on the face of this earth that gives it more than Angus. He just let's rip and throws everything he has into the guitar/Show/Concert/Life.
Awesome to hear Awesome to watch.

ps: I can send you an email of the Fonz photo for your avatar, it's the perfect size all ready so all you need to do is change your profile. Because although he's fake, he's still the man and deserves to be up on this board somewhere - are you the one???
Old 02-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Inactive User

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NZ 440R/T
[B]Pcrmike: Sorry mate I like Angus a hell of a lot better. The Fonz is Fake, Angus isn't. I like Angus not only for his AC/DC contributions but for what he is, There's no guitar player on the face of this earth that gives it more than Angus. He just let's rip and throws everything he has into the guitar/Show/Concert/Life.
Awesome to hear Awesome to watch.

For all of us out there that grew up with B.B. King, Jeff Beck, and of course Eric Clapton...SHAME ON YOU! LOL
Old 02-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

Laugh NZ, I AM THE MAN!

I would love it! pcrmike@bscn.com
Old 02-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Inactive User

Re: NZ, I AM THE MAN!

Quote:
Originally posted by pcrmike
I would love it! pcrmike@bscn.com
I believe you have mail.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

AAAAAAAYYYYYYY!

Got it! Thanx, Carl! He was sthe coolest when I was growing up (I think I still am!) and now I can fix my trucks with a simple bang on the fender!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Inactive User

No worries mate! Also, make sure you lean against your front tyre with both hands holding each colar LOL!!!
Looks good, glad to see Fonzie lives on at Moparchat!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:43 PM

Cool Some Dittos, Some Quips

While I can agree with the complaints on some of the new models, I can't agree on all of them. It seems to me that many of the other makers copy the design lines of the Chrysler corporation cars and trucks. Especially the trucks.

1. I agree that new models need to keep coming. These should be mostly styling changes on current platforms. Fewer parts means lower cost. That goes for the dealer and the parts house also. That way you don't inventory them and yourself to death. Just look at the bath Ford is taking on their best selling F150 truck!!

2. A RWD sports coupe that looks like a current Pony car. Really want to kill the competition, call the Hemi a 340 Hemi!! Market it as such and offer a performance R/T version that stomps.

3. Keep the pressure up on the competition in the HD truck market. That new Cummins is SWEEEEET!! The longevity needs to marketed also. That is one area where at least the older versions were very strong. In western SD that is all that you see on the big cattle ranches. Dodge Cummins powered pickups.

4. Push a little more support to us local racers. We are where the rubber meets the road for almost all of your exposure. Sure NASCAR touches a ton of people, but it aint free either. For a fraction of the money, you could support 1,000's of local racers. On that note why not extend to local racers the same program you have with the Rodeo Cowboys.

5. Bring some quality and pride into MP parts and the corporation in general. Most MP parts are second rate and need much attention prior to usage in real racing applications. Take the 360 short block I tooka beating on. Cost $1,300 to buy, took $3,000 to stratighten all the machine work out so it could be used. If I could do it again, I would ahve started with an old production 360 donor and been money way ahead!!!! I am still taking a beating on that one. I can't get paid for all the work!!

As for the 360 running with the Hemi Max, I can't agree. I have been in several 360 pickups with decent gears and such. All they would see is the shiny black ass end of my Hemi and its taillights!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Default Top 5 on my wants from DC

I am a 25 yr old white male.

I make a good enough income to support my family and Drive Whatever I WANT to drive.

in my 7 years of driving I have owned 11 cars and 2 trucks.

Right now my current car list is as follows:

1999 Olds Cutlass GL with 30K miles

1998 MItsubishi Eclipse GSX with $2000 in mods on it......Runs 13.0's all day and gets 28+mpg on the way home.

1969 Dodge Dart Swinger (currently not running)

The new Hemi ram is tempting me SO BAD.

But, on to my Top 5 I would want DC to do.

1. Ask the public for what they really want to drive.
Don't ask Mrs. Parker how many seats she wants to be able to flip out of the way.
Ask us what we really want to drive. I have never purchased a BRAND NEW vehicle....solely because I cannot see spending 35K on something that is going to depreciate so rapidly once I drive it off the lot., and that I will probably end up selling once "the newness" wears off.
I want a RWD V8 "2 DOOR" CAR that looks good, hauls a** when I want it to, and I can pay off before its not worth a Sh*t and falls apart.
2.Keep Car prices Under 35K.
3.How about a retro Musclecar Bodystyle other than the Charger....no offence to any future Charger buyers.....but how about a retro E-Body style?

Challenger anyone???

I would buy one.

4.Any word on that Razor Concept? I was digging that one. 250hp, RWD,6 speed, stripper, under 15K. Got my attention.

5.Give me a job doing market research for feasibility of such ventures. I love MOPAR like any of the rest of you, I would love to chat about what YOU want from DC.

Thats what is important to me.

Hope DC is listening.

Thanks

Swinger321
Old 03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Inactive User

Laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by NZ 440R/T
#1 Muscle
#2 Cheap
#3 A car that looks like it means business aka Beastie good looks.
#4 RWD, HEMI
#5 Soon.................

I could not have said it better myself!
Old 03-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Default Re: Some Dittos, Some Quips

Quote:
Originally posted by 340king
As for the 360 running with the Hemi Max, I can't agree. I have been in several 360 pickups with decent gears and such. All they would see is the shiny black ass end of my Hemi and its taillights!!!
Im just quoting numbers from countless magazine articals...The Hemi ram does the 1/4 the same as the 360 truck...go to motor trend or edmunds.com or car and driver...they all agree with me. mAybe the hemi has more passing power then the old 360, but the 1/4 time is the same...also not ethe newer truck is heavier and has taller tires that also weigh more.. Those factors contribute to the truck being slower.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:23 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

The 300 series will be a hit, even though I hate the high beltline styling. My wife will be getting one within a couple of months.

Dodge will die without a sedan. The Magnum will quickly sell to the few who want a wagon and then sales will plummet.

Durango is a dud. Ditto for Crossfire. Neither will pay for development costs. Durango will need a new front end within two years and Crossfire will die when the Mercedes parts pool runs low.

Dakota will probably lose sales from what they held in the past. They didn't do enough on their re-style, and it's on the old chassis, which makes it a porker.

Rams need a bigger Hemi to keep customer interest.

Pacifica?....Despite the attractive interior, the package is an instant cure for insomnia and it shares the squished roof design and poor visibility of the LX's.

The vans keep chugging along and the folding seats will be a real hit to help them re-gain market share.

Sebring and Stratus offer nothing interesting beyond the convertible. We've had two convertibles and both have been annoyingly troublesome. The re-badged Mitsubishi coupe styling is bland and the inside is ugly and cramped...and they aren't real Mopars.

The entire line needs more interior colors than gray and they need more exterior colors. Look at some old brochures and you will see 5 or 6 interior colors and up to 20 exterior choices.

The market needs a real RWD 2-door hardtop. The only one now is a Mercedes model that lists for over $80,000. I don't care if they call it Charger, Challenger, Barracuda or something else, but they need one bad. Offer it in a stripped version with engine choices up to the Hemi and a 5-speed manual. Also offer a version with luxury and decent performance to capture those customers who liked a 383 Satellite or 318 Dart GT.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Inactive User

I like the fact that Custom 880 mentioned DeSoto. Right on. If I were in charge, I'd reintroduce the Charger, using the 2006 concept design. That would be Dodge's flagship car. I'd then reintroduce the Plymouth marque. The make would have its own cars that weren't just rebadged Dodges. They'd be unique, although sharing some powerplants and perhaps suspension, the same way they did in the early days. I see Plymouth as being almost strictly economy cars because the original concept was low cost, affordable transportation. I'd also reintroduce the DeSoto as a more exotic make, sharing nothing with the other makes. I see a twin turbo Hemi V6 two seater in the vein of the Lexus or Infinity roadsters. Even if DeSoto had a mere two models, I think it would be a healthy challenge to the more upscale foreign crap. For Chrysler, I'd want to introduce the 300 two door and convertible models. I'd also build an entire line of PT variants, the way they should have in the first place, such as a panel wagon, convertible, two door, and four door sedan. I'd invest more money into the purely American designs, rather than reskinning Mercedes cars. I'd also push to get Chrysler more of a presence in Europe. I would seriously consider purchase all of Hyundai, since the make has made a dramatic increase in quality over the years. I'd then make Hyundai a serious competitior to Honda and Toyota, and try to eat as much of their market share as possible.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Inactive User

What do you get when you put a 300C, a Pathetica, and a Wagnum in your driveway?

I'm not sure what the REAL answer is, but it sure looks as if you'll have the beginnings of a Panzer division...minus the 88mm gun and the sporty lines of the German JagdPanther!

Coming next to a Dodge dealer near you...

The Hemi powered replacement for the Neon....the Fraulien.

Hey Gunter, with a Hemi she can really cook! And she won't look so ugly once you turn the lights off!( I guess you could put a bag over her head)

I guess my principle complaint is that the new models are dog ugly.

And as if the three models I poked fun at aren't bad enough, I've seen a few pictures of the latest incarnation of the Charger...
it didn't start out too bad in '99, but the Krauts are at it again, with that double ugly Mercedes-made-for-Dodge grille pasted on the front of it.

It's OK if it's a challenge to your sense of aesthetics to look at certain works of art (like Picasso) or listen to music by Stravinsky or read insipid poetry.
Looking at cars should be FUN!
Not a challenge to our sophistication.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

Gripe

I agree wholeheartedly!!!
I am glad that DC chose to bring back RWD into the fray. And the Magnum is not bad looking, but I would wish that DC would get some real stylists working for them! With the new body styles coming out, one would almost wish that Virgil Exner would come back from the dead!
Well, at least DC has a Hemi engind and RWD.........
Old 06-07-2004, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

what would really be nice is..
1 : RWD
2 : Older body style (dart,duster,demon,cuda,roadrunner,valiant<older valiant like 1965 2dr)
3: wide variety of MOPAR engines to optionize the vehicle(s),not those mitsubishi crap... im talking good stuff like the 2.2's ,the 200ci's (225,235 /6) the 300's (318,337,340,360,383).. and da 400's (400,426,440).. i pretty sure they still make quite a few of those.. with the exception of the 337 and the 383..
4: old style rallye packages
5: diffrent trim packages.. so you can change the tailight design to something else,interior designs,and so forth
6: lighter body weight..
----------------ok thats it for the car ideas.. now the trucks..
1: older style front end like the adventurer,the powerwagon (not really a fan of the new front ends)..
2 : the older style dashes.. that curved dash from the 70's was cool..
3 : come on beef up that suspension the way a truck should be (the way my dad does it).... 16 leaf springs to each rear side,4 helper springs to each rear side,6 leaf springs to each front side (like those found in the older dodge's with the heavy duty 4x4)... 1 heavy duty shock to each side (rear only) ,1 air shock to each side (front and rear) and a coil spring on each side of the rear between the frame and rearend..
4: a transfer case like in my dad's dodge... front axle is engaged instead of rear axle when not in 4x4
Old 06-07-2004, 11:16 AM

Well, one thing I've noticed it except for the truck-minivan line, Dodge has been shoved down towards the economy part of the division. I think this has devalued the brand name some. It's been long enough that maybe they should consider adding Plymouth back into the line as what it was originally, an economy car. No more trucks, and no minivans this time, except possibly a base Voyager model. Release the Smart in a Plymouth version, maybe call it Scamp? I dont think without something familiar to tie it to, its not going to go very well otherwise. I'd make a base model Neon available as well.
Problem is, DC doesnt really have a whole lot of entry level vehicles, if not for Valiants, I doubt I'd have known what a Chrysler corporation was back then. I'm sure good old Walter P wanted to sell decontented DeSotos and Dodges without cheapening their reputation in the public's eye. Plymouth served that need admirably for decades, it could do it again.
Hopefully it would prevent any more shameful trade mark losses like the Pontiac GTX. Good job fellas, whats next. Geo Furys and Saturn Satellites? Protect your brand equity or lose it!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Inactive User

Laugh "Pontiac GTX?!?" ---Stogaaaa.

I thought I was the only one who made those typos!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

My recommendations to DCX are as follows:
1. The new 300 should only be a RWD Hemi letter cars call all the other ones New Yorkers,Windsors or even Saratogas .Evidently the germans are not students of Chrysler history When 300s came out in 63 as non letter versions it really lessened the image of the letter car.
2. BRING BACK PLYMOUTH it seems everything exciting to drive from DCX is in the 32to38K price range. You don't have to Einstein to figure out first time new car buyers snapping up Toyotas, Saturns,Hondas etc will not have a revelation and become DCX customers on their next vehicle.
3. Redesign the 4 door truck cab so someone other than circus midgets will be comfortable on extended trips.
4. Look into a Dodge version of a light medium to compete with the F450,550,650 , Call it the NEW Dodge Power Giant series, go back to the heavy duty heritage of Dodges of the past. We have the best engine hands down why past one tons are Dodge customers forced to switch to Ford(massive opportunity wasted) to get the wider range of gvws they want.(would be a good opportunity to bring back job-rating for dealer sales people). Those at DCX who say if you want more gvw go to Freightliner business class trucks are full of crap Most big truck dealers are not interested in spending time with light medium buyers.
Well thats enough of a rant for now Chrysler could be a super exciting company with products to match IF someone would look back into what made Chrysler great and do that again. What an opportunity in a world where cookie cutter styling and design has made it impossible to find you car without a unusual antenna ball in the parking lot.