Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dodge Viper Chat...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Inactive User

Help need some help building a viper engine...

To all you Viper gearheads out there...I am a Viper certified technician looking for the best performance mods to make on a 1997 Viper GTS. Am considering performance heads from the mopar performance catalog, and would loke to keep the motor naturally aspirated for reliability. Any help? Thanks.

Clint
mprtek@aol.com
Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

Why would a Viper Tech be asking for advice on tuning a Viper motor on this site? Why would you ask on any site? I thought that's what customers come to you guys asking...

Everything in the Viper world is ridiculously overpriced (and overrated).

You want performance? Go to high performance driving school.

You want faster 1/4 mile times? But some drag radials and half shafts.

You want lap times, buy racing rubber, adjustable perches, anti-toe brackets and Stop Tech brakes.

The bottom line is that the Snake has plenty of performance right out of the showroom. Learn how to drive the beast first and look for mods when you know what you're doing.

STAY AWAY FROM TUNERS... let the buyer beware.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

The more powerful the car, the more important it is to have a skilled driver in the seat to make the most of what is given to you.
There are stock GenII Vipers that do mid 11s in the 1/4. You just have to know the car. If you really want to "go" in a Viper, your going to have to ditch the IRS. When last I knew there were several guys with 1000+hp Vipers doing low 10s and high 9s with IRS... lets see Talented Driver+Stock (400RWHP) Viper does mid 11s....add 600hp and only gain 1.5-2.0 seconds????
Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 AM
Inactive User

I guess this guy is DOA or out looking for another car to build. He should just wait for the latest mod package for the SRT-4 and forgetthe Viper (unless he has deep pockets and money to burn).
Old 03-04-2004, 04:15 AM
Inactive User

Default Viper upgrades

All you Gents should chill out!! a factory trained certified tech is trained to do all standard repairs,the fact that he has this certification is commendable(bet it takes any of you 10 minutes just to find the battery on a 97 GTS),you all assume too much,the factory does NOT train you in upgrades,His question is valid. Belanger headers,nothing else,50hp at the rear wheel,68 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel in an 04 comp coupe,dont believe me? check every track in phoenix that host all aca and scca races,all 1st place overall winners are vipers,all equipped with belangers.(4 years running). Other than that smooth tubes and K&N's,want more buy a supercharger,702hp at the rear wheel,cost about 8K,we have one with all this on a 97 GTS,you'll love it,its a 9 sec pump gas car with perfect street manners and averages 17mpg. See us a t www.prowlerpro.com or www.viperpro.com ,have fun,go fast,then go faster.....................PRO.................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01084.jpg (30.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-04-2004, 04:50 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Viper upgrades

Quote:
Originally posted by PRO
All you Gents should chill out!! a factory trained certified tech is trained to do all standard repairs,the fact that he has this certification is commendable(bet it takes any of you 10 minutes just to find the battery on a 97 GTS)
Oh yeah? I just changed out my 3rd freakin' battery on my '96 GTS yesterday. It was a PITA and the folks at Dodge had their head up their rear ends when they designed access to that area. They did everything short of hermedically sealing that SOB battery in there.

On top of that, they put in a high maintenance battery into an area that you can't check or maintain it without removing it, They can't blame the idiot Germans for that one...

You forgot to mention that the Belangers get those numbers on race gas and probably uncorked non-street legal exhaust. All the numbers that the street guys brag about are without mufflers and cats.

Another thing that you mentioned is not addressing this tech's question on the '97 GTS, NOT a Comp Coupe. Last time I looked, Comp Coupes had some refinements that the Gen 2 didn't, right?

On the SCCA winners, you might want to check up on your stats. Paul Mumford was running CDI headers with a custom exhaust that was built by a guy up here in SoCal.

Are you claiming that you have a 9 second pump gas car that isn't forced induction or on spray? Very unlikely. Guys like Treynor can barely get traction (struggling to get into the 9's) on his 1,000 hp dyno queen. Those times have more to do with suspension and chassis set up and driver skill, than engine or headers.

You also neglect to mention that the big problem with these kinds of cars is the ignition and fuel management. Most of the crazy drag racing built Viper engines have to be retarded quite a bit (to prevent detonation), because they are notorious for starving the back cylinders.

On top of this, intercooling is just becoming accepted in the Viper tuner world (who are some of the most dishonest people on Earth).

Why don't you take the chill pill, before you start throwing stats around and bragging, without disclosing the reality.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Its going to be hard to beat the factory exhaust, by a significant margin, being that the stock piece is already a tube header.
Also note, very few of the hp gain claims by the aftermarket are as big as they claim when the piece is applied to a stock motor.
The biggest single HP gain that I have heard of is the individual throttle body manifold and trumpets. This single mod is supposed to net you 120-140hp at the rear wheels.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

Dude you dont need a chill pill,you need a suppository!!! this is and has always been a MOPAR FRIENDLY board,youre a typical viper owner...........................poseur.........(ye ah thats the correct spelling)..........................whatever....... .........................PRO........
Old 03-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by PRO
Dude you dont need a chill pill,you need a suppository!!! this is and has always been a MOPAR FRIENDLY board,youre a typical viper owner...........................poseur.........(ye ah thats the correct spelling)..........................whatever....... .........................PRO........

Viper-Pro:

Talk about diarrhea of the mouth. Why don't you address the points made instead of getting on this thread and spewing dyno numbers. Judging from your reply you are part of the problem with the Viper dyno jockeys.

Back up what you are talking about or get in line with the other Viper sheep (who worship their tuners who doctor their dyno numbers). By the way, why don't you tell us about how much you've made off of Viper owners by selling them bolt-on stuff, when most of them haven't a clue on to to drive their cars. Why don't you share with us your views on chassis and suspension mods that will help these guys turn better lap times?

Since when do the Viper dyno jockeys know anything about this stuff, or have even turned a wrench on their Vipers? HP doesn't mean $hit if you can't drive the car, or if the engine overpowers the suspension and chassis. As an engine guy, you don't give a rats rear end about that, right? Who cares about making the car un-driveable? Who cares about stopping power to match your go-fast power? Who cares if you kill the freakin' customer?

Tell us more about your claims to have a 9 second Viper that runs on street gas without spray or forced induction? What kind of suspension and chassis mods did you add to that car? What kind of fuel management and ignition did you add to address the detonation issues?

Judging from your prowler web site, you are just another NOS junkie, who loves taking shortcuts. Is that what your BS in automotive engineering taught you?

Take some of your own medicine doctor... kiss it where the skin turns pink!

Flame suit on!
Old 03-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

sounds like somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed......
Old 03-12-2004, 05:05 PM

As one wanders around message boards it's not hard to take notice of some individuals whose posts are almost always negative.
"Such and such is junk", "So and so is a ripoff artist", etc. After a while the credibility is lost.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

John
name me some big name Viper tuners who have spotless records... Ligenfelter and Team Archer are the only two( of how many??? maybe 30 shops that claim to be Viper tuners) that I can name. If you were reading the Viper Board 2 summers ago Hennessey and several others were putting out(or not putting out as the case may be) some very shaky work or were subject to some questionable customer service at least.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Hey Maxwedge?

If you are still on,do you know anybody on here that works on cummins dodge truck stuff that I could ask a few questions?Thanks.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:41 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Check out
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
hit the discussion forums button in the upper left
Old 03-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Viper 10, no wonder he didn't come back due to your purely idiotic comeback!...He had a perfectly good question and you go and start spurting out some kind of garbage about how to drive the car. You seem to be a pretty intelligent person so why go and bash him....

I will tell you what, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm not so intelligent and tell you that anyday of the week I would be glad to wax your sorry ass! With just a smallblock....I don't give a fu@# if your shit goes in the 9's..N/A...I got enough boost to take care of that!

Damn, some nerve!

72 cuda...408 stroker...twin turbo...Accell dfi...3.23geared...new times to be posted in 2 weeks!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by brian phillips
Viper 10, no wonder he didn't come back due to your purely idiotic comeback!...He had a perfectly good question and you go and start spurting out some kind of garbage about how to drive the car. You seem to be a pretty intelligent person so why go and bash him....

I will tell you what, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm not so intelligent and tell you that anyday of the week I would be glad to wax your sorry ass! With just a smallblock....I don't give a fu@# if your shit goes in the 9's..N/A...I got enough boost to take care of that!

Damn, some nerve!

72 cuda...408 stroker...twin turbo...Accell dfi...3.23geared...new times to be posted in 2 weeks!
You are obviously as intelligent as you claim, because you don't know much about Vipers. What was so idiotic about my claims? Let's see him back up his claims and show us something different than the other dishonest Viper tuners.

And what is your freakin' problem Brian? Driver skill has everything to do about making Vipers go fast on a road course or a drag strip. If you have done YOUR homework, you would find people with 1,000 hp Vipers that can't break 10 seconds to save their lives. I was just at the Mopars at the Strip last weekend, and there were Viper guys with slicks, exhaust and NOS running 12's and one 800 hp Hennessey Viper that was into the 10's (who is a pretty decent driver). What does this tell me? It tells me that the guy with slicks, exhaust and NOS can't drive worth poop, because bone stock Vipers with a good driver run into the mid-11's with street tires.

Did I ever claim to run a car in the 9's (or to be a tuner)? Read it again you ignoramous. I am not a drag racer or a dyno jockey. If you want to spank my a$$. let's get out on a road course with 20+ turns and have some fun. If you can spank me there, then more power to your skill (and not your muscle). You want to hang it out there at 150 mph through the sweepers and the twisties? Let's hear you brag about how you are going to use NOS on a road racing course... bring it on!

Until then quit bragging about how big your gonads are and read the post more carefully. You might be a regular here, but you are really showing your true stripes by jumping on my a$$ about this subject, because you have no clue what I am talking about (when it comes to Viper tuners). You are probably a perfect victim for a$$holes like Hennessey.

This reply wasn't worth the keystrokes, because you'll never change. Unfortunately your attitude is what gives Mopar owners a bad reputation for being a bunch of inbred rednecks.

Now I remember why I stopped visiting this stupid forum. You guys are no different than the bozo's at *******.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:03 PM

Well Brad,
It seems that you've effectively sidestepped the issue of your snide reply to the original poster.

Once again, being a factory trained Viper tech has nothing to do with asking questions on performance mods, his questions were legitimate and he was bombarded with a nasty tirade that wasn't deserved.

Perhaps not all here or "the bozos at *******" can meet your lofty goals of superior Viper knowlwedge, perhaps you can't even meet them yourself.

I'll stand by what I said earlier about negativity.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

Hey, Viper 10, Is your name Richard? You seem like a Dick to me!!!

You have no Idea who this guy is or wether or not he can drive. He asked about parts, not driving lessons and he seems to want to avoid tuners and gimmicks. The guy just wants an edge over equal drivers. You go off about the purity of driving skills like you are Mario AnFRICKINdretti!!

And further more, You can kiss my white @$$ for sying anyone other than your arrogant self is giving MOPAR folks a bad name. Why don't you just go on ahead and stay off this sight if it bothers you so much.