Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

Default throttle cable with dual webers

I have run into a small roadblock with my intake installation.

I have the dual weber setup from Proline fuel. I also have an automatic transmission car. So needless to say I need some sort of kickdown linkage or what not.

What I currently have is the all rod version. When my gas pedal is depressed it pivots a bracket downwards, about 90 degrees of movement on the bracket. that in trun is connected to a rod that runs into the engine compartment and is connected to the throttle mechanism on the now single carburetor. Between the firewall and the carb is a bracket in the shape of a "V" with about 90 degrees on the inside of the "V". When the rod is turned (from depression of the accelerator pedal) turns this bracket downward and pushes a rod down that is attached to the bracket. The rod is attached to yet another bracket which connects to the tranny through a serious of more brackets and springs and rods.

Here is my problem. The throttle on the carbs needs about 2.5" inches of linear travel to reach full throttle, but the kickdown only moves about 1.5" inches at the most. I was thinking of attaching my new throttle cable to the bracket associated with the kickdown, but I would get half-throttle at best, the movement wouldnt be proportional.

Here are some of the potential solutions I have brainstormed:

1). Weld on an extension on the kickdown linkage at the bottom of the firewall so that the throttle cable can be attached and have 2.5" of travel so that it can move along the same ratio as the kickdown linkage.

2). Get a pedal assembly from a car that had a cable-actuated carburetor on a slant six, with automatic transmission and associated hardware for everything needed to convert.

I am leaning towards welding on an extension on the bracket and running it like that. It would be easier for me to fabricate something like that, than track down a ton of pieces. ALso since I will be changing to a manual transmission in the future the kickdown is not all that important to me.

ANy other ideas out there?
My car is a 1966 Dodge Dart, with 904 tranny. ANything would be helpful at this point. Thanks.

Caesar
Old 02-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Inactive User

Full manual valve body. Or wire the kick down lever to where it shifts firm. The kick down controls the line pressure in the tranny. Very important!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

Talk to Larry at www.cliffordperformance.com They show very little linkages on their website, but he said it's a Weber product, and they can order it in any old time. Last time I checked, it was around $130.

Dan
Old 02-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned

You cant run a full manual valve body on the street since they dont hold the low band in first gear and the over running can be damaged if you down shift to first before stopping and it can cause hte sprag to exlode and take the tranny out. You cant wire the kick down either since it wont apply the proper pressure or shift points at the right time.

All you need is a Lokar Cable to fix this up. You can get them from Summit Racing or Jegs.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

I have a lokar kickdown cable and throttle cable.

The only thing is the way my setuip is stock cables wouldnt work. the rods are all acting in a pushing motion. (well the throttle kind of turns in a 90 degree counterclockwise).

I was talking with my autoshop teacher and he and I are going to brainstorm some potential solutions, which means fabricating some brackets and getting some springs in there. Also I need a pedal assembly that works with a throttle cable. Any car years and models? Or is there an aftermarket pedal? or something from a "speed shop" locally?

any info iis good info at this point.

Thanks so far, keep it coming

Caesar
Old 02-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Big Tuna

rolleyes

On my '66 I used a pedal out of a '71 Dart and a Lokar throttle cable when I went to a 4bbl. That and a Lokar KD cable will get you where you need to be.

Just for the record, you can run a full manual avlve body on the street. I have used a Cheetah for years and never had a problem. While what dwc says is technically true, but if you don't drive like a bleeding idiot, you will never have any trouble. That, and a Slant really doesn't have enough horsepower to roll a sprag anyway.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by oibrownskin
I have a lokar kickdown cable and throttle cable.

The only thing is the way my setuip is stock cables wouldnt work. the rods are all acting in a pushing motion. (well the throttle kind of turns in a 90 degree counterclockwise).

I was talking with my autoshop teacher and he and I are going to brainstorm some potential solutions, which means fabricating some brackets and getting some springs in there. Also I need a pedal assembly that works with a throttle cable. Any car years and models? Or is there an aftermarket pedal? or something from a "speed shop" locally?

any info iis good info at this point.

Thanks so far, keep it coming

Caesar
Any kind of pedal from '68 and up will use a cable to operate it. Summit Racing and Jegs carries after market race type pedal assemblies. There is also a hydraulic pedal assembly too.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Inactive User

Default update

Got everything dialed in, intake, exhaust, and tranny.

I got the throttle hooked up via cable to a new pedal I bolted to the floor pan (temporary so to speak). The tranny kickdown is wired about halfway and it shifts real well.
Goes 1st-2nd around 15-20mph, and 2nd-3rd anywhere from 45-55mph ( seems high, but I can deal for now).

I had some problems with the chokes so I took them off, and the linkage was not setup properly (my fault from messing with it too much) and one carb was pulling the other one open and I was constantly accelerating with my foot OFF the gas, cruise control from hell.

Got it home and set everything up and it is running cherry. Have the dual dutras running into a single pipe (2.5 inch) out a 2-chamber flowmaster. Sounds good, nice and healthy, but not too loud.

I will get some pictures up in a bit.

Caesar

ps.
Who can host pictures for me so I may post them on the forum? anyone know?