Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Inactive User

Default turbo 360

Can anyone tell me ware to get some information on building a 5-600 hp twin turbo 360. l like bone yard turbo's types of cars to yank parts off of. Ebay it seem's to have a lot of turbo's but i have no idea what to look for and what i need. I'll do all the welding and fabricating myself so i don't need some sort or kit that will bankrup me. I will be using a carb also 600 holley vc.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Inactive User

You are brave to take on such a task but it definetly is doable and you will reap great benefits. I know because I myself has done such buildup.

I know seeing all these different turbos out there can be confusing but there is a lot of information out there to help you along. Visit Turbomustangs.com There is a wealth of info on that site.

To help you out I would try to look for a set of t-4 (many different compressor trims0..the s-trim is the smallest. good for around 600 hp a pair...the h-trims, which i was using, are good for around 900 a pair. I would try to find ones with the turbines either t-3 or t-4...t-3's use no larger a/r than .84 if t-4 use no larger than .58a/r.

With some looking around Ebay usually has something similar to these for about 600$set(brand new)

Fuel system is crucial...ditch the vc carb and use mechanical with about 600-650 cfm...do a bonnet on top of the carb...jet it up...use nitrophyl floats...return style fuel regulator(mallory has a good one)..and a high pressure pump...and definetly take it to a chasis dyno with wideband and run it..keep the a/f under 12to 1.

If you have any detailed questions pm me and I would be glad to talk to ya...

Video of turbo cuda...need mpeg-2 player(download from downloads.com) to watch.http://home.nc.rr.com/rotoryota/
Old 02-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Inactive User

contact
www.turbosunleashed.com or
www.turbonetics.com

if they dont have the answers you are looking for they dont exist lol seriously they are real turbo gurus
Old 02-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

OK so i like the T-4 i been seeing a lot on ebay really cheep . Now some say they will suport up to 400 hp ?IS THIS ON A 4-6-OR 8 CYLINDERs
Whars the diFFerence between T/3 T/3/4 AND T4/3 .AND HIGHBREDS Man im so lost i need a turbo book for Dummies.How do i figure out witch one to use .
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

An answer here would take quite a bit of typing..it would be easier over the phone.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

Not sure if you're still interested, but get Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes. Great book, I read it, and now I can't quit thinking up turbo setups. Try http://www.toohighpsi.com in addition to the links posted.

The hybrids you're talking about are like the t3/t4's that are supposed to wind up quickly (with the smaller t3 exhaust turbine), but still support big horsepower with the larger t4 compressor side. I've heard good things about these for a V8 tt setup.

If you're thinking junkyard stuff, try a T-bird turbo coupe with a manual transmission. Not sure on the exact numbers, but the manual tranny's had a slightly bigger a/r than the autos. They are T3 turbos.

Oh, and Brian, if you're still around, you probably don't remeber me, but I remember your car back when it had the stock 318 in it, if that tells you anything of how long ago it was... I know Stacy Cash, I've talked to you a few times, I used to have a white S10 with a 5" cowl hood and a 350...
Old 03-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Inactive User

Great web sight i ben doing a lot of reading and i'm still vary much wont to build this motor,but i have one big problem and thats a cast crank .i'm not sure if it will hold up to the task and mopar never made a stock forged crank for a 360.How much HP will it handle ? My biggest concern is the lower end and 800 to 2500 bucks is not in the pocket for just a crank on top of all the other parts to go with the turbo's and fabrication
Old 03-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

Well, those guys on toohighpsi.com are running basically stock 351W bottom ends with good heads. I always thought of the 360 as tougher than the Fords or Chevys. I figure if they're running in the 9's, they've got to be making close to 600 hp, and I haven't seen any of them blow it yet. I think as long as you have a good engine builder who can check, double check, and triple check the clearances you'll be ok. Also have the crank magnafluxed and balance the rotating assembly.

I'm planning on building a budget 318 tt, and if it works good, might build up a beefier 360 later. I'm gonna build the 318 for cheap so I can go ahead and get everything set up the way I want it, that way if I mess up something, run it lean or start detonating, I won't be stuck on the side of the road .

Anyway, I would highly recommend getting the book I suggested and reading it at least twice. It is very intersting, and some of the stuff isn't necessary, but it definetly gives you a good base of knowledge.

Oh, and I think Scat makes a nodular crank, not sure how much $$$ though...
Old 03-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Inactive User

what size turbo's are you planning on from what application?i allso have a few 318's laying around and was thinking the same thing.I got to get that book and read it a few times thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

Well, I was thinking about the Garret T03 turbos from a T-bird turbo coupe. I think the ones from the manual transmission would still be small enough, they're a little bigger A/R-wise than the automatic tranny birds. I've been trying to research on the Chrysler 2.2 turbos, but I can't find any compressor maps, and I'm worried that they might be too small. But I know they're pretty easy to find. Saab turbos are another option, but the T03's are tried and true...

As far as the intercooler goes, I'm still undecided on that. I've heard of using the intercoolers off of the older Ford Probe's (with a turbo Mazda 2.2), but then you need one for each turbo. It would be easiest to have a custom built one with two inlets and one large outlet, that way there's only one tube to connect to the carb (or throttle body).

Sad but true, I'm probably going to have to do my Dad's truck before I try this project. He wants to build up his 351 in an 82 Ford F150 (don't cuss ), and I convinced him to go with twin turbos. So that way I'll have some practice before I try it on a 318...

Hope that helped...
Old 03-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Inactive User

JSLIKNESS, sorry I can't remember you. Do you remember where I met you. The car is just about on the road again!

The cast crank has held up to my 130mph 1/4 mile passes.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Inactive User

well im convinced now to go threw with the project .how much hp will 2-t/3 garret turbo's put out on a 360? I figure around 8-9lbs of boost?
Old 03-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

Well, I'm not sure what you're planning on for the rest of the motor as far as heads and cam are concerned, but judging by the ET's put out by the toohighpsi.com guys, with their basically stock 351W's with TFS heads, I'd say their darn near 600 hp. If you're using ported stock 360 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, an intercooler and have everything tuned in right with 8-9 lbs, I'd say in the 500 hp range fairly easily.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Inactive User

IM using a 360 LA , magnum heads PORTED 340 cam ,flat top pistons 8.5/1 373 gears 727 2800 stall. 650DP not sure on tire sizes f-body 3300lbs .I was wondering about the valves do i need a heavier spring then normal for that cam with a turbo? I i figure im about 350 hp right now mite run in the 13's as is.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Inactive User

I'd say if you run an intercooler, you should hit 500hp fairly easily with that setup. Get some good traction and you should be running some low 12's or high 11's. Plus get one heck of a wierd look when they hear the blow off valve...