Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Default ignition timing and dist issues

Okay here is the deal. With the help of Chris from Prolinefuel I got my ignition installed and wired (help meaning wiring instructions).

I installed the orange ECU and electronic distributor and got the car running on the second key turn.

here is what I noticed in order:

1) Cap from points-style dist. didnt go on well my new dist.
- Do I need a new one specifically for this new dist?

2) When installing the dist. I couldnt get the rotor to line up with the referrence marks I made on the engine. no matter what adjustments I made
- The car is running fine and I timed it "by ear" but it is turned all the way counterclockwise. will this affect any adjustments I make in the future? ie. tomorrow when I set timing with timing light?

that is it, those are my questions, plus one more: do i need a new cap and rotor for my dist? I got a "1973 electronic distributor" from the parts store (that is what I said to them word for word) should I just go and ask for cap and rotor to same one? I know I should have done that to begin with (I sometimes overlook the simple obvious things while focussing on the difficult).

thanks guys.

caesar
Old 02-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Big Tuna

The points style cap should fit, but the electronic cap is supposedly made of better stuff anyway to handle the higher voltages. The electronic cap should be the same from '73 on up.

As for the distributor, you will probably have to play with the adjustment slot on the bottom of the distributor too. It's a pain, but it will have to be done to get verything right.