Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum > Hunting & Fishing

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Inactive User

Default Any deer hunters?

I go gun hunting every year for white tail deer in northen wisconsin. I have yet to shoot a buck. But I have filled my tags the last 4 years shooting does. I sure do love the taste of venison.

I was wondering how big the dear get in other places. My uncle got a buck that weighed 280lbs after being field dressed the bigest ever taken by bow in the county. Then he got a monster that scored 175 3/4 on the bone and crocket It was like 5 in the state back in mid ninetys when he got it.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

Used to go hunting a lot, but the friend I always went with moved away and my son doesn't enjoy it. Easy access here to White Tail and Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, and all types of bird. We get a lot of hunters out of the US coming up here.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

I go deer hunting on and off. Up around Oconto. Well this was the last year. Next year We're heading to the Middle of the state. The area has produced more Boone and Crocket submissions than anywhere in the MidWest. But if I have a choice , I'll drop a doe, or a 1.5 yr old. They taste better. If it's gotta rack it's gonna be a big one. All the bucks are too testosteroned up to be good for anything but jerky.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:50 AM
Inactive User

I do my hunting around Parkfalls and Ashland. I got family there and all together got around 1000 arces that we hunt. I also hunt the Chequamegon National Forest. I only gun hunt.
Is Oconto a T-zone area? We get a lot of does and do the butchering ourselfs (my brother is a butcher)you got to trim all the fat and silver skin off the meat because thats where the gamey flavor comes from. I had people eat the venison that I prepaired and they claim its the best they ever tasted.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Inactive User

We have the largest member of the deer family here in Newfoundland, and they can go to 1500 lbs.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by undeadslant6

Is Oconto a T-zone area?

Yes it is. The does we eat are great. The last wo years the bucks were still in the rut- not full bore, but enough so you could taste it. Bleech.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Inactive User

salarguy- What kind of deer would that be? What I ment to ask is how big to Whitetail deer get around other places.

I'm not too sure how them bucks that are in the rut taste. Out of the 26 deer that our group got only 4 were bucks and we use the meat from the bucks and scraps from the does to get sasuage made.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

Do you have any of that CWD around Dodgeville?
Old 02-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

I think they are making it out to be worse than it really is.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by salarguy
We have the largest member of the deer family here in Newfoundland, and they can go to 1500 lbs.
"Bullwinkle" is the best meat I've ever eaten! It beats venison and elk by a large margin!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Inactive User

What kind of hunting do you do? We do drives with anywhere from 8 to 14 people. On the majority of the drives we see deer. I also do stand hunting.
I don't know about your area but up around where my family lives deer are all over. With the 20+ deer we have taken each of the last 4 years I would think we would be seeing less of them, yet you still see alot of them around all year.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

Default hunting

Best fishing and hunting around here I have evre seen.Need to apply for out of state permit the year before.The only thing is we now have a little competition,the damn wolves.They released them over near Yellowston but they migrated to where the easiest hunting is.How many years did it take to get rid of them before?they are coming right into town now and there is nothing to stop them from packing off peoples pets.But you dont dare trip one or your in big trouble.I work in the woods in the summer months and have noticed deer and elk grouped up real early in the year now.Seems like the only supply of good meat left is being sacrificed in the name of progress.But what are we progressing to?I have been stalked by mountian cats before and it was not a good thing.We had coyotes before but now they have been ran off.I think we should have more government regulatoins to quote from a book,that always solves problems like this right?But thats just my opinion,I could be wrong.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Inactive User

They released a buch of wolves in northern Wisconsin too. They been killing people's livestock and pets. Some people are afraid to let their kids play outside in their own yard in fear of wolf attack.
If I was a farmer and they were killing my animals (livelyhood) I would shoot them and throw the carcass on a 18 wheeler headed cross country. Let them track the chip in the animal going 65mph down an interstate. But doing this is a big no-no so you just got to keep you kids inside and hope yor animals don't get attacked.