Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:00 AM

Question Turbo Guage???

I have a question concerning a certain turbo guage. The only turbo guages I have seen are the boost guages that show boost and vaccume. The other day on the front of a catalog, that was sealed, I saw a picture of somw sort of turbo guage. It reads mmHg and Kg/cm. As far as the side of the guage that said mmHg the highest point was 736 and the side that said Kg/cm the highest point was 2.0. The mid point between both sides of the guage was simlpy a 0. What is it?

I have a scetched drawing of this guage if anyone needs it.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like a metric vaccum/boost gage.
mmHg- convert to inches of Hg this is vaccum
Kg/cm- convert to pounds per square inch this is boost.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

Yep, the gauge you're describing is just a boost/vacuum gauge with metric markings.

Auto Meter makes at least two boost-only gauges. One reads from 0-35 PSIG, and the other reads from 0-60 PSIG. That's in their Ultra-Lite line of gauges, they may have others as well.

Scott Gardner
Old 02-27-2004, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by undeadslant6
Sounds like a metric vaccum/boost gage.
mmHg- convert to inches of Hg this is vaccum
Kg/cm- convert to pounds per square inch this is boost.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that their was such a guage. I was puzzeled as to what it was. So That is why I always come to here for answers.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:42 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by riquiscott
Yep, the gauge you're describing is just a boost/vacuum gauge with metric markings.

Auto Meter makes at least two boost-only gauges. One reads from 0-35 PSIG, and the other reads from 0-60 PSIG. That's in their Ultra-Lite line of gauges, they may have others as well.

Scott Gardner
Thanks for the additional info. I had planned in the past to add another boost guage to my car besides the factory one, but, I was not sure as to which one I was going to choose. I think I know now for sure. And I think it will be Auto Meter brand.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:22 AM
Inactive User

The only gauges that I will buy are Auto Meter. Besides, if it's good enough to come factory on my SRT-4(Pro-Comp Ultra Lite boost gauge), then it's good enough for me. Although I already had some Auto Meter gauges(Pro-Comp Ultra Lite electric oil pressure and volt) that I had put in my R/T, but now they are going in the SRT-4 since it lacks the same 2 gauges that my R/T did, oil pressure and volt.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 71RR
Although I already had some Auto Meter gauges(Pro-Comp Ultra Lite electric oil pressure and volt) that I had put in my R/T, but now they are going in the SRT-4 since it lacks the same 2 gauges that my R/T did, oil pressure and volt. [/B]
Makes you wonder how automakers decide what gauges to include and which to leave out. I was looking at the new BMW Mini Cooper S, and the only gauges it had on the dash were the speedo, the fuel gauge, and the tach. You can order an accessory gauge package, but the two gauges in the package are an oil temperature gauge and a voltmeter. I'd rather have an oil pressure gauge than an oil temp gauge, and I'd rather have an ammeter than a voltmeter. Also, I was surprised that a boost- or boost/vacuum gauge wasn't avaiable, since the car has a supercharger. Of course, you can always add whatever you want later, but if you're going to go to the trouble of making an additional gauge package available, why choose oil temp and volts?

Scott Gardner
Old 03-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

Default Metric Boost guage

In all the Subaru WRX's and WRX STI"s the boost guages are in metric, the highest they read is 2.0, I was puzzled myself when I saw the guage when I was checking out the new STI, I later read that it was just metric and that any car built anywhere, except the USA, that comes with a boost guage will be in metric. So you will see a lot more metric boost guages in the world than non-metric guages.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:57 AM

content

Wow, Thanks for all the info from everyone. I guessed I learned somethng new today. I am thinking that I may add one to my car along with the existing boost guage, one reason is because it is different and another is just incase my orignal boost guage is not reading right.