Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Inactive User

Question Slant 6 to 318 swap about to begin, any tips or suggestions for possible problems ?

I am FINALLY getting my engine swap going after finally finding a place to do it, I have just about all the parts, though I am still waiting on my tranny. Anyways I have a few questions about the swap : will my fuel lines work from the slant 6 on the 318 or do i need to get new ones with different bends from a junkyard car or aftermarket, Also anybody have any trouble getting the kickdown linkage set up going from a 1 barrel slant 6 to a 4 barrel (mine will be a holley anihilator) I have some extra linkage peices from an thermoquad but will those work for a holley or aftermarket carb for that matter?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Inactive User

Default swappin out slant

Fuel Lines should be ok 5/16 should feed street carb OK.Q jet kickdown stuff good too.What are you doing about K frame?Nice to bolt in V8 stuff but can also be modified.Good time to replace lower control arm bushings too.They all get shot quick.Slant torsion bars work good for weight transfer at the track but dont corner as good as thicker,V8 stuff.Frame ties also good idea.A bodies twist easy.If its a hardtop and you launch hard,Will twist like a pretzel.you will need good radiator and an external trans cooler.`
Old 03-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Default swappin out slant

Fuel Lines should be ok 5/16 should feed street carb OK.Q jet kickdown stuff good too.What are you doing about K frame?Nice to bolt in V8 stuff but can also be modified.Good time to replace lower control arm bushings too.They all get shot quick.Slant torsion bars work good for weight transfer at the track but dont corner as good as thicker,V8 stuff.Frame ties also good idea.A bodies twist easy.If its a hardtop and you launch hard,Will twist like a pretzel.you will need good radiator and an external trans cooler.`Go fast,have fun.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

Well I am still using the stock K frame and have schumacher creative engine swap mounts to go from slant 6 to 318. The frame connectors are in my plans later down the line too.. I figure ill drive the car a couple thousand miles over a few months and let the motor break in and use that time to save for frame connectors and an 8 3/4 rearend. Main thing I am worried about is how to hook up the linkage...
Old 03-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

You can modify,build,bend,twist and mix and match kickdown linkage till you get something that works. I have many times but a cable setup in my opinion is well worth the extra money. Lokar makes them or later dodge trucks used a kickdown cable from the factory. Probably save you a lot of grief
Old 03-02-2004, 12:52 PM

when i did my /6 to 360 swap a couple weeks ago the only problem i had was getting the headers on. I also used the schumacer motor mounts and the bottom pad on the drivers side motor mount ripped off so i had to use the one on my old /6
Old 03-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Inactive User

No suggestions, but I'm planning a similar swap, so please keep us advised of any unforseen problems you might encounter. From what I hear, there SHOULDN'T be too many issues with the Schumacher kit, but...

VM
Old 03-05-2004, 11:03 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chache876
when i did my /6 to 360 swap a couple weeks ago the only problem i had was getting the headers on. I also used the schumacer motor mounts and the bottom pad on the drivers side motor mount ripped off so i had to use the one on my old /6

What problems did you have with header fitting exactly?
http://www.mopars.org/images/9907imgl.jpg

Starving college student spending more than he can afford for his obbsession, motorsports!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:23 PM

Honestly, with headers i wouldn't call it a problem, just trying to get them on was a pain. haha it took longer then the whole engine swap. left side we put in before the new engine went in and that was no problem. the right side im thinking we should have done the same.