Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Default durability

How durable is the Neon? I will need an economical driver. I hear negative comments about the Neon from other Mopar fans.
How would a Neon compare to a Focus or a Saturn?

How would you rate a 2.0 Neon with five speed compared to a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla? My Toyota went 340,000 miles w/o any problems, other than not doing well when rear-ended by a Tahoe!

My daily driver is a '64 Valiant with 225, a very good car, but I need better fuel economy with the higher gas prices.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Tim,
if you are looking for an economical daily driver, a Neon would be a fine choice. We have sold a pile of them to our customers at our small used car dealership and they seem to hold up quite well. just as any car line,they have there problems but for the most part,nothing major. pretty much after the 100k mile head gasket (use the gasket from mopar to make sure you get the proper revised edition) and timing belt, your pretty much home free. good luck, i hope i helped
Old 03-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

....and, as far as comparing to the saturns and focus. i am not real fond of the transmissions in the saturns and would much rather crawl than have to work on the focus, but, thats just my opinion
Old 03-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Inactive User

I drove a Toyota for 14 years, never learned much about it because it never broke down - other than changing the brushes in the alternator and a copper contact in the starter : about $20

I hear the Neon has a strong bottom end. The only negative I here is that it is a good idea to change the head gasket when the timing belt is replaced. For a guy that is a DIY person I see few negatives in the Neon as long as I pick up one at the right price, which isn't hard to do.

Consumer Reports says that U.S. built cars are superior to European models. I figure a Neon can't be too bad when BMW's Morris Mini uses a 1.6L version of the Neon motor.

I wish the Neon came with a normally aspirated 2.4.
Consumer Reports also said the 2.4 is noisy, I rented a 2.4 car and it was fine for me, plenty quiet.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Inactive User

a Neon is a decent car all around,after the head gasket is replaced that is,even forced induction on a Neon done properly is still a dependable driver,as far as standing up to a honda, not an issue,mosty of the hondas stock out there wouldnt stand a chance against a neon compared to the older hondas, the new 1s are alot faster and stronger but you average civic is no problem for a Neon
Old 03-21-2004, 02:42 AM
Inactive User

Even a Reliant K-car with 2.2 can be made to go very fast. Mopar fours are pretty tough, the standard Neon head gasket problem an exception, a run of the mill low cost repair for me.

Chrysler should restyle the Neon, especially the rear. Does the aftermarket supply SRT panels? How does the stock Neon suspension differ from the SRT. Some people have said that the SRT suspension is totally different.

Neon's are like Valiants were years ago, they don't much respect. I think Neons have potential to be fun cheap wheels. I will probably get one.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Inactive User

I just bought a used Neon. I rented one to go to Texas and spent about $12 in gas to get there and decided I needed one!
I love it. I may just suggest getting the five speed, I did.

Speedy....
Old 03-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

Keith if i m,ay ad to the 2.2 power plant bolting on a 2.0 DOHC head from a neon is a huge power maker,thow it needs external oil supply and drain its well worth the time to swap 1 in. the standard 2.2 then thinks it is its bigger brother 2.2 with the 4 valve per cyl lotus head engine witch i believe puts out mid 200 HP readings at the wheels at 14 PSI or boost
Old 03-25-2004, 01:07 AM
Inactive User

Hey got a 98 dodge neon which is my third by the way love them only had two promblems with mind the automatic transmission prob.. only because the boy that had it before me took care of the trans by burnin the frront tires off but any way swap a 5 speed in it and replace the head gasket and never had a bit of trouble for 30 k now has 110k on it a gone strong even with all the engine and trans moddss so hope u get one i dont think u be sorry GOOD LUCK
Old 03-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I have owned 3 of them. great little cars. The last one i sold i was driving at 155000 miles. and it still got 33 mpg when i drove it to pennsylvania if you get one with more miles on it have the timing belt changed or replace it yourself. The 2.0 is a zero tolerance motor , if the belt breaks the valves hit the pistons. I am not sure when the factory recomends replacing it but i would do it 75,000 miles if it hasnt been done yet. if you are not sure do it anyways timimg belts are cheap like 30 bucks compared to rebuilding the head. of the 3 i owned only one popped a head gasket and that was after i sold it .i think she had like 97000 miles when it popped. but the head gasket kit was only 120 bucks. complete kit intake exhaust gaskets eveything needed also the transmissions the 5 spd is stronger than the automatic and they get better fuel economy with a 5 spd. good luck and have no fear of buying one they are great little cars
Old 03-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Inactive User

according to the parts bulliten at mopar they redesigned the head gasket with a different material cause first generation neons have problems with head gasket starting right after 60,000 miles other than that its a good car. i have owned my 95 sohc sport for 3 yrs now. that the only thing that ever went wrong with it.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Inactive User

i have a 98 neon two door 5-speed. when new very fast. now i have 104,000 miles on it. i have not changed a head gasket. but i do not know why every one is changing it. but love the neon great car still 36 mpg.