Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:29 AM

Default crate motors

I was just wonderin if any of yall have ever used a Dodge crate motor. I have a 78 powerwagon with a 360/727, and i am interested in either rebuildin the old motor, or maybe just buyin a crate motor, im considerin the 360/380 horse motor, a few questions: Do they come with any kind of warranty, are the cranks drilled for a pilot shaft for a 4-speed, and good/bad experiences with them. Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Do a search on this topic and find tons of posts!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:07 PM

MAny people have had good luck with the crate. Many people have had problems with the crate.

If you go with the crate, it is highly recommended that you pull it apart and verify all bearing tolerances and torque specs on all fo the nuts and bolts. Once that has been done, you can feel confident with the engine.

I would honestly rebuild the existing engine, for less money.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:37 PM

Default thank you

I think its more fun to rebuild it yourself anyways, i was just concerned bout the money, cuz i thought it would cost more to rebuild it then to just drop a crate in it. I aint ever rebuilt a dodge V-8 before, so i didnt know just how much it would cost. And of course, i am gonna hop her up just a little, naturally... I will check it out, if you guys have some good combo kits in mind, i wouldnt mind the info, i kinda have an idea of what i wanna do, but I like to get other folks opinions on things too. Experience is the best teacher, after all. I just aint sure exactly what cams/heads go good together, etc. I want a little of a lumpy cam (something from Comp), but not something i would have a problem to keep runnin, also i've heard a lotta good things bout them 906 heads, i would like to give them a shot, with a performer intake, maybe a 750 edelbrock carb. top her off with a set of hooker or heddman headers, a good MSD ignition, and off we'll go. Im thinkin of runnin not much more than 10:1, cuz i wanna still run her on pump gas, in thinkin some nice reasonable flat tops with a .030 over block. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, i've rebult motors before, but this will be my first performance build, and it wont happen for quite some time yet, probly not until im outta the Marine Corps anyways, so any ideas would be great. Thanks for all the help.

Powerwagon
Old 03-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

Good n bad, I had to trade mine in under warrantee, but had to make numerous phone calls to get it done. Ma Mopar did'nt want to warrantee it unless it had been installed by a mopar shop..what bull!

Since then, I have 15000 miles on it, and except for this new problem (really not new, just about 6 months ago..) with a bad valve stem seal, have no complaints.

The motor will accept a flywheel for manual, as in my 'cuda, it is a unique part # for this application..you might as well buy it along with the motor.

On the other hand, if you have access to a trusted local speed shop, with a good reputation, by all means rebuild your 360, with some hot internals..you'll get as much power(well, as much as you build for) and more value with the original block.

I had to throw mine away, it had been bored over too many times, leaked and cracked, so I did not have your opportunity.

The advantage of keeping the original block is that it will bolt up a bit cleaner. The crate will fit, but needs a bit o nudging here and there.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:55 PM

Default i can still rebuild mine

Mine only has 80,000 plus miles on it, although im startin to think that maybe the motor in it is not the original one, cuz it has a huge air cleaner like what came in the cars, so its hard tellin if its original or not. I dont think its ever been built before, we would have to see. Thanks for all the help gents.

powerwagon