Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Frist gen neon Exhaust

hello, i've got a 97' neon w/ the dohc motor and a pacesetter cat-back. sounded nice and all till i put a hi-flow cat on and now it gets a buzzing sound around 2000-3000 rpm. Is it because I don't Have enough backpressure or is my muffler shit? what would be a good muffler/exhaust that would sound deep and throaty and only loud when you get on it? Also dont think so but I dont have an ice-man yet. Could that be the problem?
Old 03-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

I don't have an aftermarket air intake on my neon and it sounds fine. It has a aftermarket muffler but I don't what kind. sounds good though.

best of luck.

Speedy....
Old 03-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

Re: Frist gen neon Exhaust

Quote:
Originally posted by Da Lightnin Boy
hello, i've got a 97' neon w/ the dohc motor and a pacesetter cat-back. sounded nice and all till i put a hi-flow cat on and now it gets a buzzing sound around 2000-3000 rpm. Is it because I don't Have enough backpressure or is my muffler shit? what would be a good muffler/exhaust that would sound deep and throaty and only loud when you get on it? Also dont think so but I dont have an ice-man yet. Could that be the problem?
The only problem you havr is that restrictive cat. It's the cause of all your problems. If it was mine, I'd ditch the cat, and get a sim to keep the computer happy and gain some hp and tq after tossing that cat too.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:36 AM
Inactive User

Default suggestion for exhaust

Hi.

I also have a 97 NEON with the DOHC engine. I just did the head gasket in it about 3-4 months ago. I had a plain old glass pack on mine. It sounded pretty good. But I would suggest trying a flowmaster muffler. A friend of mine tried one on his neon and it had a nice throaty sound on acceleration and it kind of mellows out at cruising speeds.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

Default cool ya'll

Yeah like I siad I put the hi-flow cat on which was pretty much just a resinator. Awsome power gain or at least some feel it power. I did call flowmaster and asked them wut was up and he told me to try a magnaflow. So i called them and he set me up w/ a part #. I got it coming through my work in a few days and will let you guys know whats up just cuz. Yeah i did spell first wrong in the colum. My bad. keep the info coming its interesting.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

what where you looking for in sound ?
the pace is a cheep system and wil sound like crap

1st have your header port matched and check the welds make sure it is clean where the collector is then leave the pipe you have the 2.5 right then get ride of the muffler and get a thermal it will sound so nice deep but not to loud
Old 03-23-2004, 04:22 AM
Inactive User

Might it be your heat shield for the cat vibrating? My R/T had the Mopar Performance cat-back and chrome header and it sounded great, but I never got around to putting a high flow cat on it like I wanted to. I should be picking up the title for it from the bank later on today for it's new owner, I can't afford the payment on the R/T and the SRT-4 at the same time, not to mention both with full coverage insurance too. I hated like hell to get rid of it, but the SRT-4 is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Inactive User

Default got a sugg.

Hey just thought u would like to know had the same exhaust on mine got rid off the whole exhaust because i didn't care for the sound myself i went with a flowmaster for a while and loved the sound great sound for a neon GOOD LUCK !!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin 71rr

71rr . congrats on the srt4 . I have the fever so bad to buy one of those i can taste it . lmao .I was at a dealership last week but i chickend out. wife doesnt want the payment. and i allready have 3 turbo dodge toys in the garage . my day will come though. sooner or later i will give in and buy one.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Inactive User

the crackling noise is your exhaust donut at the bottom of your exhaust manifold. i just replaced mine . it was doing the same thing. its really cheap and dont take long to replace buy yourself
Old 03-30-2004, 03:03 AM
Inactive User

Default dounut

thanks man. I dont know about being cheap and all for a metal ring thing but it worked none the less. Does any1 know were 2 get a cheap IceMan intake? Also has anyone put a AFX underdrive pulley on their car and found that the altnator over charges or doesn't charge. I just want a heads up If it might mess things up. Is it a good power gain?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Inactive User

Hey, Da lightnin Boy:

I know under drive pulleys gave some people problems on the Dodge Daytonas (2.2L 2.5L)
As for your Neon, it might mess with not charging when setting still..but once your moving and putting RPMs to the engine everything should work fine, The A/C would be the only other thing I think it would affect but once again with RPMs everything should work fine!

Speedy....
Old 04-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: 71rr

Quote:
Originally posted by flight704
71rr . congrats on the srt4 . I have the fever so bad to buy one of those i can taste it . lmao .I was at a dealership last week but i chickend out. wife doesnt want the payment. and i allready have 3 turbo dodge toys in the garage . my day will come though. sooner or later i will give in and buy one.
Screw that, but it now. You will never look back. My Shelby Z was nice with the MP computer, bored 30 over and K&N, but the SRT-4 puts it to shame. I also loved my R/T, but this thing is just a modern day beast. I wish that they would let you test drive one first, because if you drive one you'll buy one right then and there.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

they will let me test drive it . but the finances arent right yet. kids are expensive too. anyway congrats again and enjoy my day will come sooner or later