Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Inactive User

Default Oil pressure oddities

I have a '69 Runner with stock 383, 4 speed manual trans car. I have a situation where oil pressure is reading low (around 12 lbs at idle) and where upon accelerating the oil pressure actually drops about 10-15 lbs (when cruising at 60 mph). Have been told this is possibly a sign of cam bearings being worn. Also, during this conversation (which took place at an engine rebuild shop) I was told that cam for my car is very difficult to put in. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Inactive User

10-12 pounds of pressure at idle isnt bad, but the drop in pressure at speed is.
Well the cam isnt that tuogh to put it. Take the intake manifold off, pull the vavle covers, take off the rocker shafts, pull out the push rods, remove each lifter. You have to take the radiator out remove all the goodies off the front of the engine, including the fuel pump. take the balancer off (puller) timing chain cover tmining chain and the cam will come out. If you plan on doing it while the engine is still in the car you might not be able to. It all depends on the grill and how close it is to the front of the motor. The cam bearings are something that needs to be put in by a machine shop. If you do put the cam in yourself you will need a new set of lifters to go with it.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

Electric gauge?----Replace that sending unit!!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Inactive User

Question oil pressure

You got to have at least 55 pounds at speed or your asking for trouble. Cam bearings have to be installed correctly or your wasting time and money.When was the last time it was apart?Sounds like its time to do it again and do it right too.Sounds like a cool car so take care of it.4sp or auto? Check crank end play too.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:50 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

do 383's have an external oil pump ?? if they do, then i'd be getting a new pump
Old 03-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Inactive User

Default yep!

that thing the filter goes on,thats the pump.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the tips. Car is a 4 speed manual transmission type (air grabber set up , too!). Last time engine was rebuilt, suppossedly, was about 4 years ago. Owner "claimed" that complete rebuild was done (i.e. Rings, pistons, main, rods and cam bearings, etc.), but I have not had the motor apart myself. I am going to take it apart and inspect the components for wear. I have thought about changing the oil pump and may do so just to see what effect it will have on pressure. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the car and even tried swapping it with a known good gauge and the readings were the same. Thanks, again, for the input.