Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

Default BB 516 Cylinder Heads P&P....

My set of BB heads that I had previously thought were 915 heads are actually the closed chamber 516 heads. My 440 is the 1966 variety and is rumored to have over 300,000 miles on the standard bore.

I am going to have one cylinder professionally ported, polished and flowed and then I will do the rest of the cyliders myself making them identical to the professionally done one. Once I have completed the work, he will flow the heads again and make sure that my work flows as well as his and make adjustments accordingly.

How much time, effort, and money should I put into these heads? The heads are in the process of being hot tanked, magna fluxed, and having a "clean up" mill for somewhere less than $100.

Should the valves all be replaced? I may want to run stainless exhaust valves (or possibly both), but I have had to run race gas in the 318 since the car was put together anyway.

Can these heads be cut for the 1.74 exhaust valve like in the 915?

Do the Mopar porting templates cover these heads?

I'm looking for performance in the low 11's in a 3000 pound car. I think that's about it.

Thanks! Dartman

PS - As much as I'd like to get a set of Edlebrock Aluminum heads, that is not an option. I will port the 516 heads to approach the flow numbers of them, and only have time invested.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Yes,
A valve upgrade is a good idea, at the least, put 2.14 and 1.81 valves and open the bowls up to the size of the seat. The big valves alone wont help. They can do alright, They have a better chamber design than the others, i wished they flowed as well.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

considering there is only two shops in my area that can flow heads, and they charge 50 bucks a port, it would cost me 800 dollars just to get the port work double checked! i am not sure how you plan on duplicating the pro's port job but if you have a system with foam templates or something than it shouldn't be a problem, more of a learning experience. my mechanic, being the einstein that he is, just basically goes at my heads for a couple days and brings them back and we try them at the track. make sure all the ports are the same volume bolt them on and have yet to see a performance decrease from what, at times, seem like crude methods for porting. he makes sure the intakes are rough because he has some thing for droplets not sticking to the surface if there is turbulence along the port or something. he's the brains i just drive the thing =)
so far he hasn't charged me anything for the port job and in a 3750 lbs car the 906 headed 440 runs in 11.5-11.6 range. it would almost be a 10.99 at sea level, which would equal to damned fast if the car was 800 lbs lighter.
oh we used 2.14 intake 1.81 exhaust and they are narrow stem high flow (nailhead) valves.

and a secret im not sure many of you know about yet, the new conical valve springs from comp. basically, i have never seen a big block rev like my newly built 440, kick it up to 6500 in neutral and the body doesn't have time to react before the revs are already coming back down. the springs are just smaller than a loonie on top and therefore the retainer and the part of the spring that moves the most are halved in weight. the springs use an ovate wire which moves the top of the spring progressively more than each lower coil, which means the lightest part moves the farthest, whereas at the base of the coil the spring barely moves at all. this also helps valve train stability. i can't wait to see what this thing sounds like at 7000 rpm. comp only lists them for newer chev applications but obviously if you've got money they'll send them to you in whatever measurements you need.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

HHHMMMMM Maybe you found Greg Andersons secret!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

The 2.14/1.81's fit in the 516 head then?

I am assuming that these 516's are currently 2.07/1.60's now, unless the 1.60 is actually 1.74. I was considering leaving the 1.60's and possibly going with a cam that can scavenge a little on the exhaust side.

As far as matching the porting efforts, I was going to go by sight and some measurements to arrive at a similiar port job. The flowing will be done on his own equipment, so that's why the cost will be so low.

I was also considering just doing it entirely by myself, using the Mopar porting templates. These won't be the last BB heads I'll ever run, but they need to perform halfway decent.

Dartman