Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Neon Club Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

Default 2003 Neon problem

I have a 2003 Neon SVT, it will shut off while driving, the dash goes dark and won't restart, as if battery is dead, then the dash lights up and it will start and be fine. There is no set pattern, sometimes when hot and sometimes when cold, sometimes at 70 mph and sometimes around town at 30 to 40. Snap on scanner shows two pending codes, po 562 low voltage and po 700 tcm problem. The dealer says its hard to fix when it doesn't act up for them but for me it's hard to drive because it's undependable, to a point, it has never left me sitting, usually the lights on the dash come back on in 15 to 20 seconds, usually about the time you coast to a stop. Sometimes it will just shutter while driving and with the auto trans it is just enough for the trans to go into neutral untill the speed is low enough for the trans to re-engage,(the effect is similar to turning the key off) and before the engine stops turning it refires, sometimes it's longer and you coast to the shoulder, any one have any tips or suggestions, I'm stumped. It has 23,400 miles so is still covered under warranty, any help will be appreciated. jeffco
Old 03-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Inactive User

Well, you have two codes and its under warrenty so I'd go and make them try and do something! They have to have some idea whats wrong just by getting those codes!

Speedy....
Old 03-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Inactive User

check to see if your battery cables have shorts in them. and check the fuse box under the hood for loose conections
Old 03-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

Default 2003 Neon elect. problem

The problem turned out to be a defective positive cable leading to the under hood fuse box. This supplies all power to the car and when it finally left me sitting (I had my multimeter in the car) I was able to detect there was no voltage at the fuse box end of the cable but was at the battery end of the cable. The crimp looked good but was internally corroded, when you wiggled the cable the car would start. The dealer was pretty happy because he had it 2 times and couldn't find it, of course they are having a problem getting the cable but put a temp. bypass cable on and it runs great, hopefully the codes are a result of the loss of power to the fuse box, any way thanks for your time,jeffco
Old 04-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: 2003 Neon problem

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffco
I have a 2003 Neon SVT
Well, right here's your problem^^^, you have a Ford Neon. I never knew that SVT made a Neon. Sorry, I just couldn't pass it up. That sucks that you couldn't go back and edit it, because now you only have a few minutes in which to do it.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Inactive User

Default 2003 Neon problems

no wonder the Dodge dealer couldn't fix it , I was going to the wrong place!!!!! any way the one thing that is worse than my typing , apparently, is my proof reading. Thanks for the humor, by the time my Neon was made dependable again, I needed it. I checked the trunk lid and it is a NeonSXT so hopefully I won't make that mistake again. Big appologies to all the Neon owners who may have been offended, thanks,jeffco