Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-07-2000, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

Okay here is a stupid question that i'll kick muself for not figuring out.I have one of those little g-tech units that measures 1/4 mile times.They are supposed to be quite accurate.I know the timing starts when you start moving (on the g-tech)but in real drag racing doesnt the timing start when the light turns green? If thats the case isnt the g-tech giving you a time that would be under a perfect or better reaction time?
Maybe I'm just confused but I know a lot of you guys actually race and can straighten me out here.
Old 01-07-2000, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by beep:
Okay here is a stupid question that i'll kick muself for not figuring out.I have one of those little g-tech units that measures 1/4 mile times.They are supposed to be quite accurate.I know the timing starts when you start moving (on the g-tech)but in real drag racing doesnt the timing start when the light turns green? If thats the case isnt the g-tech giving you a time that would be under a perfect or better reaction time?
Maybe I'm just confused but I know a lot of you guys actually race and can straighten me out here.
beep, Reaction time is the time from when the light turns green to the time the 'stage' beam goes out.(you have moved, this distance varies with tire size, how far in you stage, etc.) E.T. is the time from when you have the 'stage' beam light go out untill the finish line beam is made. Hope this helps. AJ
Old 01-07-2000, 05:22 PM
Inactive User

Okay so the g-tec should show the same 1/4 mile time you would get at a strip? (depending on the accuracy of the g-tec)
Old 01-07-2000, 05:52 PM

The timing on the strip does not start with the light turning green. It starts when the stage light goes back out.

In other words you could sit on the line for three seconds after the light turned green, but still receive an accurate ET as long as you kept the stage light on.

Hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by prostock (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old 01-08-2000, 12:55 AM

Yes if the G-Tech is that accurate it should be close to the Track time regardless of Reacton time.

Larry
Old 01-08-2000, 01:00 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Okay,that makes sense,Thanks guys!

[This message has been edited by beep (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old 01-08-2000, 03:10 AM

Smile

a friend got one for christmas and some one told them they are impressed with how accurate it is. reaction time is from the time the tree goes green to when front wheels brake beam, e.t. is from beam to beam nothing to do with tree. Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2000, 03:16 AM
Inactive User

Every thing being equal your G-Tech may read a little slow. It starts timing as soon as you move. The timers at the drag strip don't start until you clear the staging beam. Depending on tire size and your drag strip this can be several inches. I've seen compedtitors measure the "roll out" at various strips. It's the "roll out" that lets you start moving before the green light comes on. It's why most of us stage as shallow as possible. There by maximizing roll out. The rule of thumb I have always heard is if you deep stage (eliminating most of the roll out) it will reduce your E.T. by .1 seconds.
Old 01-08-2000, 03:30 AM
Inactive User

beep, i have a g-tech, it is a great tuning tool, as it will show you how much of a change in perfomance your mods or tweaking have really made. i've found more than once real world & seat of the pants can be two diff. things! how many times have you rode in a friends car that felt slower than yours (seat of the pants) only to have him spank your butt! (not that it's ever happened to me, yeah right!) what i found that really helped me were the g-force mode, really showed me how to walk my 440r/t out of the hole at max rate! enjoy it it's a handy gizmo to have in the glove box.
Old 01-08-2000, 07:14 AM

Question

Where can I find more information on a g-tech?
Old 01-08-2000, 04:27 PM

Smile

Summit Racing has them u might want to cll the line and to talk to one of the sales gus also JC Whitney has them that is where me friend got his