Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

Default Keisler hydraulic clutch kit

Is anyone using the Keisler hydraulic clutch kit? I'm thinking about putting one in my SB e-body. Sure looks like a good setup but the 500 dollars seams a bit high.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Inactive User

Confused

I agree, too much. Dwc43 mentioned a hydraulic setup using your existing clutch arm. I'm still trying to picture it. He'll probably see this thread and enlighten us. CxCx
Old 03-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Keisler hydraulic clutch kit

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow340
Is anyone using the Keisler hydraulic clutch kit? I'm thinking about putting one in my SB e-body. Sure looks like a good setup but the 500 dollars seems a bit high.
I just got my hydraulic actuator kit in the mail from Keisler a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to install it, but it looks like a beautifully-made product. There's certainly not $500 worth of materials in the kit, but most of the cost is probably going to cover development cost. It's not a mass-produced kit, and I know they've redesigned it at least once, so they're probably still paying off the tooling and engineering costs.

Scott
Old 03-28-2004, 01:49 PM

Most of the cost is that he is doing a custom setup, instead of using a design that is already out there.

If you look at the hydraulic clutches on newer RWD vehicles, you will see that they use a standard throw out bearing. The slave cylinder is attached to the side of the bellhousing and connectes to a normal fork assembly. When you push down on the clutch pedal, pressure is sent from the master to the slave. This pressure causes a piston to extend out of the slave and push the clutch fork back.

You can rape all that you need from a wrecked Jeep, at your local salvage yard. Should cost a total of about $50.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Inactive User

I agree that the cost of the Keisler hydraulic acutator is reasonable, considering the low-production, custom-designed nature of the kit.

I also like the fact that it's mechanically very simple. Rather than having a master cylinder that actuates a slave cylinder, which in turn moves a clutch fork that's connected to the throwout bearing, the Keisler kit simply has a master cylinder that's plumbed directly to the throwout bearing. The clutch pedal is connected directly to the plunger in the master cylinder. The only mechanical connection in the whole setup is where the master cylinder plunger attaches to the clutch pedal. From there on out, it's all hydraulics.

Scavenging the parts from a wrecked Jeep sure sounds like a good, cost-effective solution, though.

Scott Gardner
Old 03-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Inactive User

The Keisler settup is amazing, but I'd like to try that alternative settup. CxCx