Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Inactive User

Default 76 volare big block conversion

I have a 76 volare. I have been working on it for a number of years and have devoted all my time and money into it.
The car was my first vehicle and when i bought it, it had 340 in it. this year i bought a big block 400 and rebuilt it. the other night when i tried to drop it in I noticed that the mounts were not lining up correctly.
i never noticed it before that the frame mounts are stagerred and are not parellel by around an inch and a quarter. and the mounts on my motor are parellel. I am not sure if all the small blocks are stagered and the big blocks are parellel or what.
So i was wondering what combination i could use to make them work.

I was also wondering if anyone knows of a set of large tube headers that would work with my combination.
Thanks alot for the help.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Banned

Check with Shumaker mounts and install the engine from the bottom, not through the top. You'll get it done a lot easier if you do it this way. Check with Hebman or Hooker for some fender well exit headers.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

The BB mounts are staggered also, the rub is the fore and aft dimension. The block ears (where the motor mounts bolt up) are a different distance from the front of the block. The Shumacher(sp) mounts will allow the BB to sit farther back and your tranny mounts will line up also. BTW the SB tranny will not bolt up either. Muscle Motors has fenderwell headers also along with the others mentioned.