Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Inactive User

Default 360 Build up questions ???

Hi, hi, hi!

I'm building the #'s matching Dec 11th 1971 date coded 360 for my 1972 Dodge D100 and I had a few questions about pre-break in preperation.

It is a first year for the new body style and it is a Special Edition pickup (rare) which means it has every single option available for a standard cab longbed 1/2 ton 2wd truck down to the a/c, cruise contriol, pwer disc brakes, factory tachometer and headliner.

I am familiar with all of the lubrication, tolerance checking, cam degree work, assembly and sealing envolved in building an engine, but I'm puting about $2000 in all into the engine and transmission of this truck and I'd hate to jack it up because it is a #'s matching engine and trans and a rare one at that.

The 360 was supposed to debut in 1973 to replace the 340, the only 1972 vehicles to get a 360 were the spring special (late) 1972 trucks and my block is date coded Dec 11th 1971.

okay, questions:

1. Is there any way to determine the clocking position of the distributor without using a timing light by using the TDC mark on the harmonic balancer?

I would like to set everything up as close to par (5 to 8 degrees before TDC) without adjusting too much with a timing light while breaking in my new Hughes camshaft.

2. I am using a Mopar Performance distributor advance recurve spring kit in a rebiult stock electronic ignition distributor with a brass conductor cap and rotor. This distributor has vacuum advance. Should I use the vacuum advance with this recurve kit?

The recurve kit should bring mechanical advance in at 2500 rpm unlike the stock spring kit, which comes in at 5600 rpm. I don't know how this kit affects vacuum advance. I know vacuum advance is importaint on fuel economy, and I am leaning towards keeping it, but I don't want too much advance because this will be running on pump gas.

I am also going to be using a Jacobs electronics Pro Street Ignition pack with a 65,000 volt coil and an optima battery with a 65 amp alternator... just don't know how this, or even if this will affect timing.

3. I will be using a Mopar Performance dual plane M-1 aluminum 4 bbl intake topped with a restored 1971 383 615cfm Carter AVS re- jetted for Colorado's altitude. This has been converted from thermostatic choke to the Carter/Edelbrock AFB Electric choke. I went with an AVS because I like not having secondary jets and metering rods and I don't care for the AFB secondary couter weights, the adjustable AVS air door is a far superior secodary choke mechanism.

Should I throw this carburetor on another engine to tune it before putting it on my new 360 for break in?

4. does anybody know of a good 1972-1980 Dodge pickup website? I cannot find one to save my life. I fould a zillion 1961-1971 Truck sites, but no '72-'80 sites. ???

Thanks!