Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Inactive User

Default New Holley 600 didn't work,Why?

I bought a reman. Holley 600 vac. sec. for my Cuda because the Carter AFB seemed a bit tired and was told the holley would be a good replacement . when the shop got it on the mod. 318 we could not keep the engine running when the vaccum hose for the power brakes was hooked up, nor would the engine stay idiling without some lite pressure to the trottle ,even after the brake vac. hose was left off the carb.,after much frigging around setting air to gas flow we got it to run ( without my power brakes, which did work with the Carter ) so long as there was a very lite touch to the gas,the shop said that they don't generaly have to do a thing to a Holley that they have always worked great when put on, I have had work done at this shop with no problem so I trust these guy's. They got it to work and she would sit and idil, on the way home I made a couple of stops and by then she would not stay running again at an idil without trottle pressure , and on the road if I took my foot off to touch the brake it was just like you turned off the key ,but she would fire right back up when asked and seemed to pull ok when you put your foot down hard, so what the problem is we're not sure,the guys think that there could be an air leak in the Holley ? I had them take the Holley off and put my Carter back on so I can drive the car and have brakes to stop her with, I've got a lot of money into her and would hate to lose her because of some arsehole stopping quick in front of me. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
Old 04-25-2004, 04:23 PM

Check the gasket between the carb and the intake manifold; some gaskets that will work with a Carter will cause a vacuum leak with a Holley and vice versa.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:49 PM

You have a vacuum leak somewhere in the carb. That would explain why your AFB/AVS works. I would check the vacuum pod to body gasket, that little cork one. And then the diaphragm itself. Make sure all the little nipples are capped too. Even on a rebuilt, the shafts may be loose if they didnt look at them.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

When they put the Holley on I had them use all new gaskets with it so there shouldn't have been a problem there and they were very careful to line up the old gaskets when they reinstalled the Carter, they help me out a lot, they're good guys. I'm going to take the Holley back to the speed shop and see if they will send it back and reorder ( I might have to wear my tight jeans and a low cut to get their attention, not many girls here into cars so it works pretty good !! Daddy always said to learn to use what you got !!!) Thanks for the advise, if the speed shop won't take it back we'll look closer at the carb.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Does the power valve match the cam?It sounds like the valve is dumping at an idle.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

check your spark plugs for color .when you step on the gas look for black smoke .it sounds like the squirters are way to big 318 likes small squirters like 28's .check your timing they also need lots of vacome advance with holley's. use a vacume gage on the front lower right port and set the mix screws to the highest reading you get then at idle push on the excelerator pump litely if the idle go=s up your ok if down adjust it .
Old 04-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

one more thing when you use the vacume gage and there is no adjustment one way or the other step down two jet sizes if rich and try again if plugs are white go up 2 and check again.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the advice guy's,but it seems that there were missing screws in the base of the carb and it was causing an air leak so I took her back to the speed shop and they gave me another one, and this one is working fine except there is NOW a problem with the electric choke which seems to want to stay on at fast idle if I get under the hood and click it off the car will idle great, I think that they maybe have it wired wrong , they had it hooked to the coil and I asked them to hook up somewhere else so they hooked into my ballest resistor and I've noticed that the car 's voltage gauge now stay's up at 14 amp. isn't that to high for a 12 volt system ? could that be what is causeing to problem with the choke ? I've got an appointment wiht an older guy on mon. to have a look . The old guy who used to do all the tweaking on her passed away this winter and boy do I miss him. Let me know what you think, this is confusing stuff for a girl !!
Old 05-08-2004, 11:08 AM

Wire it somewhere else! Stay away from the coil, and the ballast resistor unless you know exactly what leg of the ballast has 12V. You want the ignition side, not the field side of the regulator! The choke heater is a controlled short, it uses a heater that is just a thin wire from 12V to GND, and that is throwing your regulator to full charge if it is on the field side. You want to tap off the low pin of the electronic regulator (bottom of the triangle, looking at it with the connector on the upper half of the rectangular body) or the side of the ballast resistor, opposite the coil feed on a 2 post resistor. Both these feeds are coming off the same circuit that goes right to the "run" terminal of the keyed ignition switch on the column. An electric choke will still play havoc on a charging system. Mopar had divorced chokes that worked off the heat of the intakes. OEM, still available and a few aftermarket intakes still have the choke stove well cast into them (not many though)
Old 05-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation good advice

as far as staying away from ignition conponents,and make sure the choke has a good ground too.any chance of seeing those tight jeans?
Old 05-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Inactive User

I'm with the Idaho dude! Had cataract surgery on both peepers and have little implants in them so I can check out the low cut top and snug jeans with 20/20 accuracy!
Old 05-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

If you are ever down here to Nova Soctia I'll show you those nice tight jeans !!maybe even the low-cut !! but you'll have to make the right noise's over the Cuda first !! I'll hope that the new Mopar guy can fix my choke on mon. These young guy's are good to look at, ( nice butts !! Girls look too you know !! ) but there are times when older is better .
Old 05-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down too far to go

I was thinking about a picture anyway,I fix lots of girls cars here most of the guys know how to workon theirs.But there are a few girls that can spin a wrench,my daughters can,they rode my Harley before they could walk and are both getting cars for their birthdays next month.So I must be an old guy.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

If your daughters make you feel old getting a car for their birthday, then my son just makes me happy he's has old as he is ,because I bought the Cuda from him when at 18 he couldn't afford to keep it and I'd post a picture of the Cuda for you all if I could figure out how.As soon as the Cuda is feeling better we'll do some more art work for the highway guys, just because I can
Old 05-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

Lightbulb well then

go do some highway art and post the pics of that too.pishta seems to know the ins and outs of getting pics to work on here,ask him,I dont know except I had a heck of a time with my avatar.