Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Default vibration help

i need some help narrowing down the possible causes of a vibration im having in the car.

its an '83 gran fury ex cop car

engine is a 360; complete rebuild,and the tranny is rebuilt as well.

with the engine running in "park" i can rev the piss outta it and it doesnt vibrate at all,leading me to conclude the engine itself is not the cause.
while driving the car down the road,anything under 55 mph is smooth,no vibration at all.

once i hit 60 its starts vibration all over,it doesnt seem to be coming from one specified area,the seat vibrates, the steering wheel not nearly as much,although the faster the mph the steering wheel begins to as well,i believe as a result of the whole car vibrating

vehicle has new motor mounts,new transmission mount,new tires freshly balanced and new u joints front and rear.

what could cause a vibration other then these things?

any opinions appreciated.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:22 AM

I'm wondering if you have a bent rim. A rim can be in balance, but if out of round, will still shake like washer on spin cycle!
And with some of the folks they have in tire shops these days, its very likely they could have overlooked the rim being bent.
Are these the original rims to the car? Maybe your cop car got some rough driving back during its service days that may have tweaked a rim or two?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:23 AM

Get someone to follow you and look at the car when it is vibrating bad. I bet it is a bad rear tire, itll be bouncing.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

good idea pishta.

actually stoga i had thought of that and replaced all 4 rims on the car with a different set,all 4 new ones are straight and true.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

Had that happen before & it was a tire. A belt seperated or something- it was a pretty new tire too. CxCx
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 AM
Inactive User

hi another possibilty could be drive shaft !! its possible to loose some of the rollers when installing new u joints whitch could cause the drive shaft to wobble and be out of balance ! also it could be slightly out of pos on the rear end yoke and u could try turning the drive shaft 1/2 a turn and reinstalling it sometimes that works ! just some suggestions
david
Old 04-30-2004, 09:12 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

i had a vibration in my demon. i stuck a dial indicator on the rear part of the driveshaft.
i rotated it and got .047 run out. i then took the shaft out and rotated it 180*, reinstalled it, checked it again and got .015.
it made a big difference.
might be worth checking.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:12 AM
Inactive User

Check the u-joints. My Duster seemed OK till I got to about 50 and then started vibrating and then would go away as I slowed down. Finally the rear u-joint let go and I was stuck on the side of the road. Got u-joints replaced and had driveshaft balanced and straightend for $125 and everything is OK.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:45 PM

Diff yoke bearing or wheel bearing? Is it cyclic, like a reverberation (exhaust) or is it a steady vibration? I had a cracked K/steering box mount and it shook my teeth out at about 40 but was smooth at 35.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

definately a steady vibration...doesnt show up until exactly 60 mph and goes away once under that speed.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Inactive User

HEY! I just had the same problem w/ my 02 Ram, the dealer told me it was tires, I had someone else look at it..."U-JOINT". Took it back to the dealer due to warranty. Guess what it was u-joint,
only because it wasn't internal it was a hundred bucks deductable (plus the $280 I spent for tires). Get under the car, grab the drive shaft and if you can move it in a linear (NOT rotational) direction, no matter how slight, it's the u-joint (about $30-$40 plus a half hour max time)!
Old 05-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

Arrow sounds like driveshaft

to me,did you change the U joints?If not,better check them over good and you can also check for runout with a piece of wire visegripped to the frame,spin it over with a slight drag on the wire and listen,if its out a little you will hear it.