Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Inactive User

Default electric fan

thinking of adding a electric fan on my dart, with a on/off switch.what would be the correct connections so it only runs when the ign is turn on?
Old 05-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

Larry,

You might want to consider getting a relay and manifold water themostat from painless wiring to operate your fan. They are available from many other companies as well and are a better choice I think than using the type of thermostatic controls for the fan that use a sensor clipped on or near the radiator. I found that the one I had was erratic and operated the fan sometimes at 180 degrees and sometimes 220 degrees. With the painless relay and thermo, it fires up the fan at 195 and off at 180 and does it consistently, you also wire in a toggle switch to manually on/off if you need. You just wire the toggle to a switched ignition source and it will shut the fans off when you shut down the motor. Nice setup, around $45.00 if I remember right.

Good luck
Old 05-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Inactive User

If you don't already have the fan, keep in mind that some of the fans come with pretty sophisticated thermostats already. I have a Flex-Lite 2700 CFM dual-11" fan setup, and it comes with an adjustable thermostat. When the engine temp gets close to the thermostat temperature, the fans come on at 60% speed. If the temperature continues to rise, the fans spin faster until they're at 100% rated speed. There are wires included to force the fan on or force the fan off, regardless of engine temperature, and there's a sensor wire that will turn the fan on with the air conditioning, regardless of engine temp.

Scott Gardner