Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Cry cam bearings

Hey new to this site hope this is the right forum? When you replace the cam bearings. I was told the front and rear have to be put in from the inside out? I dont see any taper or some kind of parting line. This guy may be full of G.M. I'm not sure. Thanks for any advice. This is a small block by the way.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

LOL

not sure what is meant about the inside out deal just make sure he lines up the oil holes or you wont have any oil to the rocker arms.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Inactive User

What I meant was, he said the end bearings had to be pressed from the inside of the cam tunnel toward the water pump, and again toward the tranny for the rear! I have done this once before and started at the rear and worked back, never from the middle out.Just want some input.thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Inactive User

Arrow I have always

just had the machine shop do them in the past,are they all the same size?If so it shouldnt matter,I have taken old cams and ground a groove in the journal surface and sized the shell insert with it on GM junk,but never had to on a chrysler motor.Snap gauge and a micrometer,measure the block first and go for it.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the input Mopar Marc. This guy is G.M. junk all the way!! They all mic. the same so after this I'd say he bumped his head of his pontiac.Thanks again they came out with no problem, bought a lisle bearing tool.It don't get any easier than this thing. 2 neop. sleeves brown(.065), black(.090) for both thin and thick wall bearings.And 5 expanding drivers with 2 driving washers and driver bar and extenstion.$130.00 on www.sjdiscounttools.com Well see ya around here!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin BZZZT!

The reason for doing the "inside out" deal is so the install tool can be held in alignment, using the cone on the shaft. If you attempt to drive the end brgs in "freehand", from the outside, you can get them in crooked.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Inactive User

Thanks geezer plain old comes with experience correct? I figured working from the rear of the block back. That way I only had to worry about the front bear. going in straight. Didn't want to take a chance on scratching the other bears.Unless you think it would be better the way you said? That's why I'm here, to absorb as much info as possible! Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

Default My way??

Quote:
Originally posted by carshemi
Thanks geezer plain old comes with experience correct? I figured working from the rear of the block back. That way I only had to worry about the front bear. going in straight. Didn't want to take a chance on scratching the other bears.Unless you think it would be better the way you said? That's why I'm here, to absorb as much info as possible! Thanks
Yep, I put them in by the inside out method. Have not had problems w/ scratches. You'll likely get more scratches when the cam is installed than w/ the brg tool!!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:11 PM
performance engines

Default cam bearings

the reason he probably siad what he did was in the 318, the last cam journal is smaller than the others, but, I always drove them out front to back, but of course I have the high-dollar cam bearing tools to do it. for the big blocks, the journals are pretty much the same size, BUT, the cam bearings are different thicknesses, so each one goes in a specific location, you need to let a good shop install them or come over to my house and I can do/show you how to do it.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Laugh thanks

I think I'll take your advise and do the inside out tip. Looked at the driver and ext. this moring again.I believe they are both alluminum, so your right about the scrathes! As for the Big hammer I'd love a crash course but the drive/flight from Pa. might make me some-what sleepy.I should be at my sharpest to remember everything!! Thanks I'll look you guys up when I'm done and let you know how I made out?