Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-06-1999, 04:29 AM
saggly

I have a lot of questions...First of all, the car in question is a 1984, Chrysler fifth avenue...318. I have just rebuilt the motor, adding an (extremely too big for bottom end torque,) cam shaft. It has AWESOME power after about 2,300 rpm's, but that doesn't help with take-offs. The transmission seems to have a lock-up torque converter in it. according to my chrysler automatic transmission manual, this should be an A-999 transmission. Can I replace the stock converter with a non-lockup stall converter, and, can I install a shift kit made for non-lockup transmissions, without problems? The reason I ask the second question is I can't find a shift kit for lock-up transmissions. Also, does anyone know how to tell what kind and what ratio rear end is in it? I looked for the little tag on the rear end, but it's broken off. Any help would be greatly appriciated! I'm trying to make this little 318 scream. She has hedman headers, edlbrock performer intake, and edelbrock performer 600 cfm carb. Also, does anyone think a bigger carb would work on a 318? Thanks a lot! please reply to saggly@kih.net
Old 04-08-1999, 07:04 AM
Brian Mills

O.K. Saggly, the converter and shift kit are in the Mopar Performance cataloge at the Dodge dealer. The diff is an 81/4, the ratio is 2.94 or 3.23 or 2.45, pick up the rear end, put a chalk mark on the tire, and another on the drive shaft. Turn the tire one full revolution, and count how many revolutions the drive shaft mark makes. Remember the last revolution of the drive shaft will not be a complete one, you will have to guess how far it went, .2, .5 or .9 of a revolution. Oh I guess the diff could also be a 71/4, look on the spec sheet under the hood, or between the spring and the foam under the back seat, or take the vin number to the dealer, and ask them to do a computer search (function 69), just sounds funny, they will know what you mean. Good Luck.
Old 04-08-1999, 07:07 AM
Brian Mills

Oh yeah Saggly, the carb is just fine, don't go any bigger. Shift out of first at 5400, second at 6200, rock on.