Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

Question Anyone have or know of any Scamps or Swingers with the sliding metal sunroof?

My girlfriend and I recently bought a '73 Scamp. Her 1st car was a '72 Swinger and she'd been wanting another one (or something close) so we looked at a few Swingers and Scamps. It was easy to settle on the one we bought though; it's a sunroof car! (M52 on the fender tag) Other than that, it's pretty average option-wise (/6, T-flite, P/S, A/C, radio, light group, tan with white vinyl top and off-white interior)
I've seen quite a few Dusters and Dart Sports with the sunroof over the years, but I can't remember ever seeing another Scamp or Swinger with it. Anybody else ever see one? Or have one? Anybody have info on how many were built?

Thanks,
Brian ('66MoparDude)
Old 05-24-2004, 10:34 PM

I moved this over to Slant Six Chat, cause there's a bit more A body folks here than the other forums.
It's been so long since I've seen one, I really cant say.
But it wouldnt surprise me if there had been an optioned out Scamp or Swinger with a sunroof, sounds just like the thing a dealership owner would order for his wife for a beach or picnic car, or something for his kid to go to school in!
But honestly, I cant say for sure either way, hopefully someone over here will have more info.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Inactive User

Default A body sunroof

Well it's nice to know someone else bought their girl a '73 Plymouth Scamp! I thought I was the only one! That Scamp is a way cooler car than any Dart in my opinion. The '73 was still early enough to catch the better rear bumper/tail lights, but new enough to get the cleaner front end without the 5mph bumper and it has the big bolt pattern wheels and Disc Brakes standard. They also have the slotted K frame for the factory sway bar standard too! For what it's worth, that '73 you have is a better platform than the '72 and earlier A body.

Scamps are the mutt of Mopar A bodies and nobody knows what the heck you're talking about when you mention the name. I bought the '73 we own because it is my girls dream car down to a T. She loved my '68 Charger when we were in High School about 4 years ago and would always talk mopars with me.

Knowing that there are about as many Mopar gals in the world as there are '73 Scamps left, I had to go steady! I bought the car for her 20th birthday as a surprise after I found it 4 days prior at my friends mopar yard/ small dealership.

She had wanted a Green '73 Plymouth Scamp since she was 12 and wouldn't believe me when I handed her the keys and pointed to the car acrossed the street that she was gocking at when she came home from birthday shopping. She wouldn't sell it for my Charger, she says.

I have a friend whose dad has a '72 Swinger. My friend also bought his girl a '71 Swinger and we have yet to find ANY Dart or Scamp with a sunroof from 1967-1976 with the roof line that you're talking about.

We have talked about using the tracking system and most of the gutters out of a Duster/ Demon/ Dart Sport. My friends dad with the '72 Swinger also has a '74 Duster with a sunroof and he was planning on using it in his '72 Dart.

You would have to make your own outer sheet metal for the sunroof and break some spot welds from the inner framing of the sliding roof panel to do so because of the different roof shape. If you're a good bodyman, it's not impossible, just a lot of trial and error until you get it working right. I have done this conversion on a '73 Charger from a '75 Duster before with no problems, just a lot of measuring and patience with the knife.

Between all of us A body freaks, we have parted out at least 8 1970-76 darts and dusters. If you ever need anything that you can't find, just let me know!

karatekid@worldnet.att.net

Dave and Lauren

P.S. I'd love to see that car! Post some pics if you have any!
Old 09-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Inactive User

Question sunroof eh?

I can't remember ever seeing one! How was it done? Mopar plant or dealer aftermarket?

Love to see it.

Could a Swinger be retro-fitted?

I'm very curious.

Rollinglenn
Old 09-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Banned

Biggrin

THey were available, but I dont have any prod. numbers.