Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Can someone please layout the parts i need for a 904 to 833o.d. swap?

i have a 70 swinger with a slantsix and 904. i would like to swap to the 833 overdrive tranny. could you please make a list of the parts that i need to do so? i'd like the list to be as complete as possible. also, if i used the keisler pedal assembly with the hydrolic clutch, would i still need all z-bar and other clutch stuff? wildcat mopars wants $900 for the whole conversion kit for the slant. that seems a little steep to me. if someone could basically lay out what steps i need to take during the swap that'd be great too. thanks a lot for your help!

casey
Old 05-21-2004, 06:45 PM

The Keisler hydraulic setup does NOT use the Z bar. You could buy the complete setup from Keisler. There are less expensive ways to do the hydraulic clutch, than the Keisler kit.

pilot bearing/bushing
Flywheel
clutch disc
pressure plate
throw out bearing
bellhousing
transmission
correct length drive shaft
3 speed shifter assembly
manual hump extension for tranny tunnel
correct console (if yours is a console care)

You've already covered the pedals and Z bar.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Inactive User

What all do you get for $900 at Wildcat?
Old 05-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

$900 gives me everything i need to make the swap in my car. they want $300 for just the tranny, but i found it today at a wrecking yard for $150. the only one in all of portland! what other companies make the hydro clutch? are there a lot of other cheaper solutions? i really would like to put this overdrive tranny in my car, but i'm low on cash(aren't we all). just wondering, this is a little off topic, but would a 7.25in rear end handle the 190 to 200HP from a sooped up slant that wasn't raced, just street? thanks for your help!

casey
Old 05-22-2004, 02:45 PM

Just remove the hydraulic assembly from a newer Jeep Cherokee. Instead of the throw out bearing being the hydraulic unit, they have a slave assembly that bolts up at the bellhousing. The slave has a rod that connects to the clutch fork. When you press down on the pedal, the hydraulic pressure causes the piston/rod assembly to extend, pushing the clutch fork.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CaseDawg
$900 gives me everything i need to make the swap in my car. they want $300 for just the tranny, but i found it today at a wrecking yard for $150. the only one in all of portland! what other companies make the hydro clutch? are there a lot of other cheaper solutions? i really would like to put this overdrive tranny in my car, but i'm low on cash(aren't we all). just wondering, this is a little off topic, but would a 7.25in rear end handle the 190 to 200HP from a sooped up slant that wasn't raced, just street? thanks for your help!

casey
I got a whole pedal, master and slave cylinder if you need it to do your conversion. Only thing you need to use is your clutch fork. I bought an extra set up and don't need it right now. Leave me an e mail addy and I'll hook you up with it. It's gaining dust right now. LOL!

The 7 1/4 wont hold up to much of anything at all. I've broke them with even a mild slant 6. They just dont hold up. Look for an 8 1/4 from an Aspen or Volare' and that will work for you. If you got that o.d. unit from an Aspen or Volare' just get the rear too.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Inactive User

that's awesome!!! i don't know what your email is, but if you look at this thread again, my email is paswrd911@yahoo.com. how much do you want for it? will it work in my 1970 swinger? thanks heeps and bunches!!!!!! i'll see if i can't get ahold of your email.

casey
Old 05-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

what years of cherokees can i get that out of? what kind of modification will that take? i can't do much fabbing, so the easier the installation, the better. ehostler, do you think you could lay out what i'd have to do to put the jeep assembly in? i would greatly appreciate it. thanks for all your help guys and keep it coming!!!

casey
Old 05-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CaseDawg
that's awesome!!! i don't know what your email is, but if you look at this thread again, my email is paswrd911@yahoo.com. how much do you want for it? will it work in my 1970 swinger? thanks heeps and bunches!!!!!! i'll see if i can't get ahold of your email.

casey
E mail sent. This will be just about as easy a bolt on as can be. I think you would be happy with it. I really like it and it allows me to move the clutch pedal further to the left to make it a little more comfortable to me when I am driving.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

hey thanks guys! do you think you ould expand on the cherokee idea? that sounds like it ould be good, but how muh do you have to change things in order to make it fit? dwc43, i sent you another email. does anyone have a slant bell housing for the 833? flywheel? does the tranny usually come with the throwout bearing and pressure plate? pilot bearing? thanks for all your help!

casey
Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Banned

I've got a bell housing for a slant six too. And I think I may have a throw out bearing too. I don't think I have the flywheel though. Are you pulling this tranny from a junk yard? If so grab the stuff you need from he donor unless it's a V8 car. Oh, the Z bar from a V8 car wont work on a slant six. It's shorter and want release the clutch and if you try to use a slant Z bar which is longer on a V8 car you will damage the pressure plate by depressing the fingers too far. So the pull type hydro clutch I have will save you this problem.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Inactive User

yeah thanks, i'll try and keep in touch with you. i think i'm going to buy wheels right now, so the tranny swap might occur later in the summer. wheels are going to make my car look a lot better than a 4 speed will. thanks a lot.

casey
Old 05-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned

Well hang on to that E mail I sent you and just let me know if you need this stuff. It's just laying around collecting dust. I'd rather see you put it to good use. Matter of fact I think I have two of those slant 6 bellhoudings if you know someone else that needs one. Oh, and the way gas prices are going that o.d. might do you a lot more good in saving you some gas money in the long run. Something to think about.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Inactive User

yeh, the gas mileage is the main reason for me doing the swap. i'll also have to think about how much i'm actually getting out of it. how much gas can i buy for the cost of this conversion? but then again, i'm also getting a 4 speed which is a lot more fun to drive! thanks

casey
Old 05-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Banned

Welcome, anytime.