Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Need help on Mopar swap into a Toyota LC

Hello,

I am new to this board.

Here is my dilema.

I am a big Mopar fan. I come from a Mopar family. I want to swap a V8 into my 71 Toyota Land Cruiser.

The first thing is the SBC 350 is what EVERYONE does. So the parts are accesible and CHEEP.

I have searched around and the only adapter I can find is for a dodge NV 4500 tranny to my existing TC.

the SBC bellhousing adapter is cheep and easy to come by, is there an adapter that I can get that will let you hook a mopar to a sbc tranny? that way I could use the two and keep my toy tranny and get the mopar engine.

other options
I don't know much about the NV4500 but I have heard they are big $$$$ is there any way to use that adapter so suit my purposes.

Also
If I can find a way to adapt the 2 what engine is best?

I was thinking of the 318 maybe?
I know there is a 360 truck motor but don't know much about it.

I used to have a 62 with a 413 but it would be way to hard to try to stuff a BB in there.

O and I want an engine for towing, light wheeling and expedition.

E
Old 05-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Inactive User

Default 413 prolly too tight to fit....

The 273,318,340 and 360 all look and are outside deminision wise the same for the most part. I know that there are several different Mopar to chevy adaptors but why not run a Mopar tranny too. I am sure you could get an 833 manual to mate up or even a 727 small block auto. However if you are set on the chevy tranny then look here http://www.tciauto.com/specialty/adapter_kits.htm

also look here: http://www.tlc4x4.com/2000/Parts/tlc_bellhsg.htm
Good luck and welcome
Old 05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunatly advance adapters doesn't sell a mopar to LC adapter other than the nv4500. I am shopping for a nv4500 but it may actually be a lot cheeper for me to use the 2 adapters with the LC tran and TC.

I an actualy planning on running the LC transmission but it can VERY easily be adapted t oa chevy bellhousing by just putting an plate between the tranny and the bellhousing. I have the plate.

It looks like I can use the tci adapter and the other one with a chevy Bellhousing sandwiched in the middle.

E
Old 05-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Might work but...

It might space the input shaft and/or tranny too far away from the engine and cause other issues. I hope that works though cause it sounds like the quickest and simpilist solution.

Good Luck
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Inactive User

Well I talked with TCI auto and here is what I have up to this point, feel free to help if you see a problem:

The TCI adapter for a Mopar engine to a chevy BH adds 1/4 inch to the entire length.

The LC tranny to chevy BH adapter is simply a spacer plate about 1/2 inch thick.

If I get a thinner plate between the trany and BH and the TCI adapter I can go from my LC tranny then the thinner spacer to the chevy BH and clutch setup to the TCI adapter to the rear of my Mopar engine (probably 360 or 318).

Anyone spot a problem?

E
Old 06-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Inactive User

Well the reaso I wanted to find make it fit my tran is because the LC has offset axles and I didn't want to have to change them out.

This weekend someone told me that there is a Mopar TC that has an offset rear output???

Is this true and what is it called and what kind of vehicle and years would I find one?

thanks
E