Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Question Why bother with a smallblock?

If one can build a big block 440 for the same price of a small block 360, and get more HP and torque out of it, why would anyone want to build a smallblock (other than the whole "keeping it original" thing) engine?

Are there benefits to small blocks vs. big blocks, or visa-versa?

Just wondering, as I plan my next engine...!

Thanks,
Andy
64 Polara 500
Old 05-28-2004, 02:47 AM
Inactive User

Four main reasons other than the originality point you already mentioned:

1) Class rules. Obviously this won't apply to a street build.

2) Ease of installation and less cost when the car was a small block to begin with. To switch to a big block you also have to change the transmission, more often than not you also must change the driveshaft, and do it right you also need to change the torsion bars. What about making headers fit? If your car had a big block option to begin with this will be easier, but read some of the other threads to see what some guys have gone through making big block headers fit in an A body. Then since you are making more power, you need more cooling. Ready to replace your radiator now? So while the engine itself may be built for the same price, the swap may end up costing much more.

3) Weight savings/handling. Sure you can put all kinds of fiberglass and aluminum parts on a big block car and make it lighter than a stock small block, but hey. You can also do the same thing to a small block, and you end up 100 pounds lighter regardless.

4) Bragging rights. Imagine beating a 454 Chevelle with your 492 inch stroker. So what? Beat him with a 340 (or better yet, a 318.) Now that's something to rub the bowtie boy's nose in. This is the same reason the slant 6 racers are so fanatical. Anybody can make big power with big inches. It takes real skill to make a small motor as powerful (or more powerful) than a big one.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:40 AM
Inactive User

Well said !

John C.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Inactive User

well i have a 414 small block that runs in the low 10s but the main reason i went back with the small block is because i didnt want to have to buy another set of high dollor headers and anohther trans.If i had these parts already i would have build a big block.but when you have a small block it is fast you get MO respect.IMO
Old 05-28-2004, 09:42 PM

Aren't the small blocks blessed with a great piston/valve angle that provides all kinds of potiential for air flow? I remember one of thoes outlaw/street type classes where a guy was running a 4gen GM F-body with a Chrysler small block. It was a loop hole in the rule that gave him a killer combo.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Inactive User

Wow - that's one of the best answers I've ever seen! Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Inactive User

Yeah that is one of the best engine and racer Tim davis built mopar powered f-body that set all kinds of records.i have a picture of the car somewhere with the front wheels hangin in the air.i believe it was a W9 motor