Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Inactive User

Angry Speaking of carb problems...

So there I am...a bike mechanic trying to fix what should be a simple problem. The Holey 1920 type carb in my '69 Valiant has issues. It would seriously flood and stall on me. My mechanic told me to get a rebuild kit and that should fix it. Well, it did for a few months and then it started again. He told me to try replacing the old float. I found one and got a new rebuild kit and did it all again. But it seems to still be a problem. Even though it has only been driven a scant few miles since that time and has not stalled or seemed to flood when I turn the engine off I have the bad smell of gas. I take the air cleaner off and find that the carb is spewing vapor just as it has after it would stall before. Now, it has not been to a mechanic to be properly adjusted yet. The needle and seat are new as is the fuel pump and filter etc. Is this how the thing runs? I am pretty well completely green when it come to car mechanics... can you tell? The only thing I did not do during rebuilding the unit was clean it OVERNIGHT in a tank. It got cleaned, just not that completely. Am I missing something or should I not be worried and just drive it? Any help would be a blessing.
Phil
Old 06-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

If the float level is set correctly there should be no fuel from the top of the carb. The new fuel pump may have the pressure to high. Try a pressure regulator set to about 6 psi.