Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 PM

Angry keep getting GAS in the Oil

i have a 440 with mechanical fuel pump 750 vac secondaries carb keep getting gas in the oil somehow and then it starts shooting flames out when you rev it up or floor it and just let off the petal it like backfires the car still runs good but some how its leaking down in to the oil does something on the carb need rebuilt the fuel pump is nothing radical its a holley 60 or 80 gph cant remember at like 7 psi or something what do you think it is?
Old 06-03-2004, 04:27 AM
Inactive User

if the fuel is diluting the oil to the point of thinning the oil severely and the car is still running ok, the fuel pump is probably the culprit. buy the carter street pump. if its your carburator doing it your plugs will be way fouled out and will reak of gas.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Inactive User

i forgot, if your oil is getting thinned out, you'll have to do a few oil changes to get rid of the fuel in crankcase. the fuel will lower the oil viscosity alot.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:53 AM
Inactive User

I drove an old chevy 350 20 years ago and it had a leaking mech. fuel pump. The diaphram was leaking into the oil pan.
I kept ignoring it until it sneezed one day! Streached the oil pan and destroyed front and rear crank seals.
Funny thing was, it would smell of gas for a few day then it would be clean for months.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

This needs to be fixed ASAP if you want the motor to live, whether it's the pump leaking into the oil (easiest fix) or if it has washed down the cyls( cuold cost $$ to fix right) Good luck
Old 06-04-2004, 07:17 AM

Have you checked to make sure a float isn't hung open or set to high? I had that problem when ever I shut he car down it would drip fuel out of the main discharge tubes and flood out the car and get into the oil over time.