Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:21 PM

Default still burning oil

Well the ongoing oil leak still remains. I am completley stumped to where it is coming from. First off, the engine is a brand new rebulit 360 motor. The smoke seems to be coming from the passenger side by the oil filter. Wherever it is coming from its dripping on the passenger side collector and turning my new ceramic headers to a nice golden brown color. At first I thought maybe I just got a bad oil filter...no such luck. Changed that and no dice. Then I figured maybe the valve cover gasket was bad. I pulled the valve cover and noticed that on the corner by the oil filter was a little oily. I thought bingo thats what it is. Replaced it and fired up the engine...no smoke (well a little but i figured it was just oil that leaked and hadnt been burned yet). Drove it around for about 15 miles and it started smoking again...I have no idea what it could be; any guesses? im debating on using that flourescent dye that you add to the engine oil and then use a black light to determine where the leak is coming from. what are your thoguhts?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Inactive User

When I'm looking for a oil leak I use a pink powder that you just blow on and it turns bright red when it comes in contact with oil like stuff. You might be able to get it from a local parts store Robert
Old 06-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

Default OIL LEAK

When I put together my poly 318, I had a leak from the gasket behind the oil filter adapter plate. I replaced the gasket and problem solved. Hope that your problem is that easy.

nuff said,

tool man
Old 06-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

When I bought my 383 cuda I had the same type of problem it turned out to be antifreeze leaking from a header bolt, some sealant fixed it up. Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:14 PM

Most likely the gasket behind the oil filter plate is missing. Take off the filter and the nipple thats threaded into the block and the plate will come off. See if the round gasket is in there. I had this problem on a 318 but mine leaked a ton not just a slow leak. Also, did you check the oil pressure sending unit next to the distributor?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:47 AM

I had a leak there too. I took off the adapter plate and noticed it didnt "have" a gasket on it. I put a new one on and it still leaked. I took off the new one and realized the prior owner painted over the old gasket and I didnt even realize there was one on there! I had to chip it off with a screwdriver and the new one went on, leak solved.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Inactive User

Arrow spin on adapter

would be my first guess,throwback from the early days of canisters,why cant they just cast the block without that anyway?