Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Anyone else have this problem?

I am assembling the lower end of my 340 and have swapped to eagle rods with ARP rod bolts. The problem is that once i torque the rod caps down it is impossible to get them apart again. I can't plastigauge the rod journals because I can't get them back apart! Is there a trick?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Inactive User

I take it the rods are on the crankshaft, right? or are you talking about rods in vise? either way,. it can be a biotch to seperate the rods, there is a tool for seperating them while there off the crankshaft.. on the crankshaft, well heres how i do and did it.. on rods that you can use the oil squirter hole to put a blunt object like flat'nd screwdriver one that fits at least 1/2 the end is in the squirter hole, so its firmly seated dont want it to slip out, (this part of rod is a non bearing surface but still dont kill it or gouge the hell out of it, little mark ok , just go slow and easy , get small hammer be very carful not to slip and hit crankshaft or bearings or rod bearing surface ( you can always hit it harder if needed) start with light taps and they usually pop enough on one side so it can be rocked back and forth (wear gloves so it dont kill your hands and youll be able to grip rod end better , works for me anyhow) and then slide a thin wide screwdriver between the 2 pieces outside of bolt area only then carfuly pry the cap off with rocking motion. the outside part of rod between where the two pieces butt up, thats by bolt is pretty tuff, and should not gouge if your not rambo on it , keep top half of rod snug against crankshaft less chance of scratching CS while pulling bottom half of rod off... ok did i confuse the hell outa ya!! sorry if i did lmao... good luck... you'll get'm ,. some seem tighter then they really are, because the rods are new and you cant see hitting them new rods with blunt object and hammer lmao!!.. i know been there hehe. hope this helps bro..... also ive had to use a puddy blade to have something thin enough but stiff enough to pry puddy knife works great.. ok now im done

coolcarz
Old 06-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Inactive User

1 more thing,, most rods, some, well the ones ive seen, have somewhat of a lip or area thats not flush with other side where the butt together, im talking the squirter side and the other side enough to get a screwdriver or what ever tool you use placed at a angle to catch enough area to hold pressure of being hit and not "chip off" pieces, if no lip or area to place bluntly.. <--is that a word? lol,... put that screwdriver or other tool of choise, get it at the angle so it may, as in might, put slight indent in metal , just so it dont slip off smooth part of rod end if thats all you have to work with, ie, no lips or perturding part , you know that certin angle to push up , when using flat object and hammer....
not that you would'nt do it...
but your gunna want to ck clearance on them bearings , to make sure they'r right,, every one of them too.. if all 7 ck ok dont assume #8 is ok too.... easy to want to do when the rods are little hard to seperate , lmao..... been there >;^( done... g/l

coolcarz
Old 06-11-2004, 08:17 PM

Thanks, But there is a problem. These rods dont have the oil hole to get a screwdriver in.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

Try a big pair of slip joint pliers,grab the cap squarely and wiggle it side to side and the cap will slowly walk right off
Old 06-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Inactive User

Eagle rods use a cap screw. Back the bolts out some and tap the top of the bolt with a hammer. TAP...the bolts with a small steel hammer until the cap is released from the dowl.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:15 PM

Ill try thatPro, I was just afraid of scratchin and screwin them up. I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Old 06-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

Do as Hedgehog said. Back the bolts out a few turns and tap the heads. I like to use a plastic hammer or a hammer handle. The Eagle rods are doweled so walking them or prying them isn't going to work well.