Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Inactive User

Question burning oil (only noticable @ idle?)

My stock 318 with 103K miles runs fine, but once it has reached normal operating temperature, and it idles for a short period of time, I can tap the gas pedal and a cloud of oil smoke will appear from the exaust pipe. But there is no noticeable smoking during normal driving, OR under full throttle acceleration....

The top end of the engine was re-built (valve job, valve seals, double roller timing chain & gears, etc.) @ around 75k. Is this a sign of a ring(s) problem? Or maybe the valve guides are worn out? Possibly sucking some oil from the underside of an improperly sealed intake manifold gasket?

A close friend owned the truck when the valve job was performed, but he does not know if the valve GUIDES were replaced by the machine shop @ that time or not. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the high amount of vacuum being created @ idle, but i'm not sure... Does anyone here have any experience with this problem?

thanks,
John C.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Sounds like you nailed it on the head.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:00 PM

Some machine shops will try to save a buck by knurling the valve guides when they do a valve job; this temporarily tightens the guide but eventually leads to excessive oil consumption.

Replacing the valve guide seals might slow the smoking down some, the intake gaskets are a possibility too.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Inactive User

The magnum 318 has a gasket sealing a cover on the bottom of the intake manifold that is known to leak causing oil to burn.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Inactive User

Arrow Sounds like loose guides

to me,if its not causing other problems and doesnt go through too much oil,consider it top cylinder lubrication,which is good for it.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:45 AM
Inactive User

Thanks everyone...

I believe the problem is the valve guides. My main concern is if it will affect my ability to pass the emmisions test here where I live (or not)?

The county where I live began this practice in May of 2003. Any vehicle less than 25 years old must pass the sniffer test, with the exception of 1996 or newer vehicles that have OBDII which have the OBD computer checked for emission / evap system related issues / codes instead.

My ('84) truck passed the test last year W/O a problem even though the EGR system is inoperable due to a bad vacuum amplifier which I have not been able to find a replacement for. Only the air pump, and a 3" magnaflow converter are in working order. But, the engine wasn't smoking noticeably then either. Oh well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks again for confirming my suspicions, I really appreciate the replies.

John C.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:58 AM
Inactive User

Arrow I would think

that the oil burning would show up as hydrocarbons on your test,If you switched to a heavy single grade oil it might slow it down enough to squeek by.