Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Inactive User

Default Headman Shorty Headers

I fitted some Headman shorty headers to my Dodge Challenger, 383. They went in quite well and have really made a difference. However I have one problem with them. The collector flange bottom edge on the passenger side happens to be directly above the steering cross linkage (not sure of it's real name). When I turn the wheels the top of the ball joint just touches the bottom edge of the flange. It still turns but you can feel it push it's way under the flange and I expect it will slowly wear into the ball joint. Also if I slam the brakes on the car will lurch to the right because of the flange-ball joint contact. This is definetly not desirable.

I have tried grinding a bit off the flange and also put some 1/8" spacers on the engine mounts to raise the engine up a little. This imporved things but there is still contact.

It is a real pity the collectors on the headers were not just a little bit longer because they really are great headers for the price and as I said they installed without too many hassles.

Will raising the front of the car a little by turning the torsion bars help ?

Does anyone have some suggestions ?

Thanks in advance