Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

Angry No Oil Pressure

I just bought a 71 Barracuda Conv. from my brother and had it shipped from Chicago. Got it today, started it up and no oil pressure, at least the idiot light won't go out and the lifters are making lots of noise. The car has been sitting for about 8 - 10 years after a rebuild to the 340. I put in fresh oil, changed the filter and still no difference. Next I pulled the distributor and ran a preoil shaft for a minute or two, still the light remains on. I checked the connection at the sending unit and it seems fine.

What's the next step in checking out the problem? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Locke
Old 06-23-2004, 01:00 AM

run that pre-oiling shaft until you see oil in the valve area, you are doing no damage by running that pump in that manner. Does the drill feel a drag? Pull that idiot light and run a real guage off the back of the block. I ran the oiler on my big block for a few seconds and I got nothing. I had to remove the filter and "prime" the pump with oil before it would even start to pick up oil out of the pan for some reason. I get instant oil pressure all the time now, kinda weird.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:06 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation could just be an air pocket

in the pump,get what you can in the filter,I know it makes a mess,but if it still wont prime,remove the sending unit and backfill the system with a small hose on a squezze bottle and spin the pump backwards.If it doesnt start working then,better tear it down and see whats what.Acustomer just lost a 5.2 in a dak because of an engine fire that burned the valve seals and they crumbled and went to the pan,plugging the pickup tube screen.Pressure gauge was inop so he didnt know he had no pressure.Strange things can happen sometimes.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Inactive User

Default Possible solution

Just talked to my brother and he told me that the sending unit in the engine is meant for the rallye dash gauge not an idiot light. He was converting the car over and never got it finished, something about a wife and kids I think. The rallye dash is in the back seat! So now I'm wondering if the wrong sending unit/ light combination could be the problem, would good oil pressure to this sending unit cause the light to be on?

Locke
Old 06-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb it might

but dont take any chances,install a real pressure gauge.If its noisy there are more than likely some issues with the oiling system.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Inactive User

Threre's still the lifter noise... First thing to do is get a manual guage and get a correct accounting of what that engine is doing. Maybe it has solid lifters maybe not. Before you trust it to fate get a correct reading from a manual guage....
Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

Question where the heck is

Sydny Montana?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

Sidney, MT....

About 1/2 stones throw away from North Dakota...

Closest track is Minot, ND and it's an IHRA 1/8 mile about 3 1/2 hr drive to get there.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

Since you already have to dist. removed check to make sure you have the plug in lifter bore gallerie. The drivers side plug is INSIDE the engine. You will be able to see it by looking in the hole where the distributor goes in the engine. Or if you prime the engine and you see oil coming from the gallerie you have no plug. This plug has an allen head sunk into it.

Another plug that's easily forgot to be installed that could be missing and cause no oil pressure is located on the passenger side gallerie above the oil pump. You can easily check this by removing your oil sending unit on the back of the block and inserting a long rod etc. into the hole. Pay attention to how far this rod goes in. it should stop when it hits the plug I'm talking about. this plug is located in between the 2 passages that go to and from the oil pump... the plug is used to divert the oil to the filter.

If you still don't have oil pressure then remove the pan and it's time to check other things. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Inactive User

Two days ago the pressure guage in my truck started out fine but then dropped to 0. A little alarming, but the truck wasn't making any funny noises so I kept driving it around (I'm looking for a reason to go find a 440 anyway). Yesterday I installed a mechanical guage and it appears that at idle I've got about 18-20psi and it instantly jumps to 40-60psi with any throttle input. What alarmed me was that I disconnected the 2 plugs from the factory pressure sending equipment, I assume the 1-wire is for an idiot light and the 3 wire is for the guage, and there was no idiot light. Still isn't. The stock guage isn't moving anymore, but other than that no difference. I'm guessing the sending unit went bad, but 18psi makes me a little nervous anyway since it seems quite low.

If I were you I'd get a known-good oil pressure guage installed just to verify and to keep tabs on it.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:22 AM

The minimum PSI at 500 should not be lower than 20. At 1000 RPM the pump should read 45-65 PSI. This is on a new B/RB motor stated in a 1966 service manual. I think the idiot light goes on at about 7 PSI. Anything less than that indicates excessive clearances in the pump or more than likely a scored cam bearing.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

Well I pulled the valve cover off and ran the motor for a minute and presto oil everywhere so I guess the sending unit is not compatible with the light or ????????? Anyway I was pleased to see oil pressure, thanks for all the advise guys!