Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-11-2000, 02:03 AM

Question

I've been thinking about putting a non lockup A518 in my '79 Aspen R/T. The original plan was to just change the 2.71 gears to 3.55's which I already have. But an O.D. transmission would allow me to use 4.56 gears on the street, which would come in very handy in stoplight drag races!
What I need to know, if anyone has done it, is if the floorpan needs to be cut or not. I know I'll need to make a new trans. mount, and that's ok, but I don't want to cut the floorpan or the crossmember. My car has a floor shifter, too.
Old 01-11-2000, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

I did this swap in a 68 Dart. The floor pan was not moved, but the cross member was. I'm not real familiar with the F-body, even though I've been driving one for 5 years (I *HATE* it!). The stock floor shifter will require extensive mods because the mounts for the "through the floor" rod do not exist on the O/D trans. There are other minor mods needed (new cooling lines, kick down, etc), but they are really nothing compared to making new a mount. Thinking about it, those trans tunnels are smaller than an A-body, so I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to do some floor pan mods.

My 2ยข worth!
<font color = 990033>DB</font>

------------------
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Old 01-11-2000, 06:24 PM

I expected I would have to make new cooling lines and kickdown linkage, and make a bracket for the floor shifter. Not a problem for those things. Anyone else? How much cutting needs to be done on the floor and crossmember to make it fit?
Old 01-11-2000, 06:34 PM
Inactive User

I'd say most of the rear crossmember needs to come out. You have to think about the size of the tailshaft housing, versus the size of the OD unit. A normal tailshaft is about the size of a beer can where it goes through the crossmember, and the OD unit looks more like the adaptor between a 727 and a transfer case on a 4WD. You really should find one of these trannys at a boneyard and do some measuring to get an idea of what you are looking at.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE
Old 01-12-2000, 02:05 AM
Inactive User

TIM i have the books on the 79 f-body electrical and chassis-body service manual i'll see what i can find out i had a 77 with 4 speed over drive .Some drunk broad hit it in front of my house and pushed it 2 doors down the street adout 170 feet on a side street.that was the last time i parked in the street ,in fact that was the second time when that car got totaled , i had company.
Old 01-12-2000, 04:16 AM
Inactive User

Tim, the kick down linkage from my 904 worked just fine except for slightly bending the lever on the trans because it was binding up (or was that the column shifter?). Anyway, the cross member & floor shift linkage are probably going to be your biggest problems. Maybe you an convert the stock floor shift to cable operation? I've thought of this for my brother, but changed the whole shifter to an aftermarket. He's in a wheel chair & gets in from the pass side, pulls the chair into the back seat, then slides over. The stock shift lever was too tall & he needed to pull it into first to get by. New shifter (B&M) has a short "console" shift lever that doesn't get in his way now.

Another simple post becomes a novel...
<font color = 990033>DB</font>

------------------
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!