Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-12-2000, 03:09 PM
Inactive User

Question

hi guys !! i've read the posts about oiling for s/b and i'd like to know how u block off the center of the block where the cam lobes are ?? whats the best way ?
p.s anyone have any circle track t-bars for a a-body for sale ?? thanks !!
Old 01-12-2000, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

I assume you are talking about blocking off the left side lifter passage. If you look at main journal #1 you will see 3 holes drilled in it. One hole in the main saddle goes to the main oil passage in the right side of the block. One hole goes straight up to the cam and the third hole goes to the left side lifter galley. That 3d hole is the one to block off or restrict. The easiest way is to use 2 freeze plugs in that lifter galley, one on each side of the hole coming up from the main saddle. A lot of people block off that passage completely. We have never had success completely blocking it off. We had problems galling lifters. It could be our use of W2 heads, or the RPMs we turned or the way we evacuated the oil, I don't know. But, we used a .080" hole in the back freeze plug to give some oiling to the left side lifters. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, just ring.
Old 01-13-2000, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

thanks for that info SANBORN !! i'll ck it out !! do u need to restric the lifters if you only twisting 6400 max ?? the outher post talks about ""blocking the holes in the lifter valley to keep the drain back oil from dripping on the crank."" whats that ?? i've used lifter galley tray before is that what there talking about ?? i'm goin back together with a 360 and nows the time to make the changes !! thanks for the great site and the INFO !!
Old 01-13-2000, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

The holes they are refering to are the oval holes in the center of the lifter valley. Lots of racers will epoxy plates over these holes to keep oil from draining down past the cam and dripping onto the crankshaft.

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~
Elwenil.cjb.net
DodgeChargerSE@aol.com
72 Charger SE