Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Not a Big System...Just Some Sound

I have a 1973 Duster(with space between the back seat and the trunk because of the space Duster option). I want to install a radio that makes some noise but not a car rattling system.

I looked around at Best Buy and altogether it would cost me $260 to get the car rewired, underdash mounted cd player, and a pair of 6x9's with boxes. I looked in J.C. Whitney and it would be considerably cheaper to buy from them. I want cheap sound, but I don't want it to be distorted much.

Since I don't want to cut through my dash, I asked about an underdash mounting kit. Best Buy offered to install it for $15+$17 for the part. I'd pay that, but I'm not sure if this mounting kit will work for my Duster. Does anybody know if this will work?

And on rewiring for the system: the installation guy said it would cost me $60 to ground all the speakers and run new wires to the radio. Isn't this something that I could do easily? Is there someplace that yall can point me on an article on how? I think I have an idea but I want to get it down well before I try.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about before getting this system?

Would the cheap J.C. Whitney audio stuff be suitable for my purpose? (cheapest CD Player am/fm radio, 6x9's, boxes)

Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up had good luck with them

over the years,from engine overhaul kits to harley parts.All speakers should be grounded back to the deck.The wires get ran under the door sills,no big deal,do it yourself and save.Buy more beer.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

first of all, decide on the sound that you want. having a subwoofer for example doesnt always mean loud excessive bass. the underdash kit does work well and i have used it on many different cars. depending on how you want to go, a good pair of components and a small woofer will usually get you the sound that your looking for.