Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Power Adders

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:25 AM

Post Does the KN air filters and teh Fram air hog filters realy work?

Do the fram air hog and KN filters realy work im just curiose about it before i spend 35$ on one
Old 08-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Inactive User

Question

Who knows?If they are like K+N filters of the past,at least you can wash and reuse them so you save money in the long run that way at least.As far as better air flow I would think with the same housing it would flow the same as before.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:55 PM

thank you That helped
Old 09-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

I put the K&N in both my trucks and it seemed to make a diff. better milage and a little more power. My ram is a v6 so i could realy tell that there was more power
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Inactive User

Default : Does the KN air filters and teh Fram air hog filters realy work? Reply to Thread

There is a cheaper alternative, go to the parts house and get a 14" round old style filter and housing 1-1/2" thick install that. I have had one on my 2001 5.2 for 30,000 miles and works great. even improved my fuel milage, I get 16.4 in town and 18+ highway and better preformance to boot. Cost around $30.00.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

That 14" air claener is a good idea if you are running a V8 down south, but for the rest of us a K&N or an Airhog make sense in the long run. If you plan to keep your vehicle for a long time, go ahead. You will save money just by buying one filter over buying many over a period of years. As for power, I bought a K&N for my V6 Lebaron and I have a noticeable increase in power and mileage. This doesn't make my car a screamer, but it does alright considering what it is. If you put a 14" air cleaner on a dakota with a 5.2 you may run into cold drivability problems when it gets below freezing in the winter. Just buy the right filter for you truck and you are good to go.
BTW: I've noticed that Airhogs are more money than K&N, Are we paying extra for the name???
Old 09-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

I've had a K&N on both the Lebaron GTS and Shadow ES turbo's that I used to own and did notice a difference in performance, but didn't pay attention to milege on the Shadow. When I swaped it over to the Lebaron, it was hard to tell since we'd done a few mods to it and I hadn't spent much time behind the wheel (maybe 20 min max) before switching over. I did just pick one up for the '98 Cherokee today, but I'm debating if I should put it in now, or wait till I do the plugs/wires/cap/rotor and put it on then.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

i think that they do help a little but the best gains are when you add some kind of cold air intake system along with the k+n filter.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

I'm kinda halfway thinking about getting my hands on another airbox from a local boneyard and hacking that into a quasi-cold air intake. I did that on the Lebaron too and it did pick up some power and lots of noise but it also lost airflow over the underhood computer (intake's suction pulled cool air over some of the computers on those cars.) This time just cut out the radiator and left front fenderwell parts of that box, and maybe add some heatshielding to the engine side of the box.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwobble
That 14" air claener is a good idea if you are running a V8 down south, but for the rest of us a K&N or an Airhog make sense in the long run. If you plan to keep your vehicle for a long time, go ahead. You will save money just by buying one filter over buying many over a period of years. As for power, I bought a K&N for my V6 Lebaron and I have a noticeable increase in power and mileage. This doesn't make my car a screamer, but it does alright considering what it is. If you put a 14" air cleaner on a dakota with a 5.2 you may run into cold drivability problems when it gets below freezing in the winter. Just buy the right filter for you truck and you are good to go.
BTW: I've noticed that Airhogs are more money than K&N, Are we paying extra for the name???

I put a 10" Edelbrock air cleaner with a K&N filter to match on my 318 Ram. Even with the cold weather (and I do a lot of driving during the winter since I'm out of school) I don't run into problems. If you run into clearance problems but still want the same type of set up, go for the Edelbrock triangular air cleaner, the one with the foam top that is held in with a wire mesh. Can find this at AutoZone or other places like it for like $25. My buddy with his 2001 Dakota wanted something similar to my set up, but his throttle body was up against the firewall. We put that in, and there was a noticeable gain in performance. And the foam element is just as easy to wash out as a K&N or Fram.
Personally, if you are going to go with a filter in a stock housing, it ain't going to do much unless you get rid of the restrictive housing. K&N is the way to go when it comes down to Fram vs. K&N, in my opinion. I actually use a K&N oil filter as well. They are stronger internally than the Frams.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Arrow

Those triangular ones are ok I guess if all you do is drive around town,but for off road use they wouldnt get everything.And being flat they dont help direct airflow into the TB very well.If it really did help your buds run better his stocker might have been restricted.