Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-12-2000, 09:01 AM
Inactive User

What do you think about using a 360 Durango
to tow a 3,000# car on a 2,000# trailer.Hilly
New England.
Old 01-12-2000, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

I think it will be fine.Make sure the trailer has electric brakes.Also don't forget that your total load will be more than the 5000#'s as you will also have gear to take to the track. Tool boxes and such add up quickly.I'm sure the Durango has a auxilary trans cooler,but if not add one of those too.I'm a big proponent of using those load bars(I can't remember what they are really called)that go from the trailer to the vehicle hitch.They make a BIG difference in towing and I strongly recommend their usage!!
Old 01-12-2000, 04:18 PM
Inactive User

If my memory suits me correctly, the factory prepared towing specail Durango had an outstanding tow rating of about 8000 pound total weight. It would stand to reason that a owner prepared tow Durango should do about the same.

Before towing you should check your owners manual for any info on towing. You may be talking about the stock bumber hitch, which could tow considerably less than, say a class III or IV receiver type hitch. I stress that you should check your OWNERS MANUAL first since that is the best source for towing capacities.

For instance, a 1996 Dodge covnersion van is rated to tow 7900 pounds as its set up (gearing, chassis, aftermarket hitch) but the hitch itself is rated for 10,000 pounds. I would NOT try to tow over 5,000 or 6,000 pounds without a weight distributing hitch either. This hitch could make a 10,000 pound trailer tow like a 7,000 pound trailer (which would make a heavy trailer fall within owner's manual towing guidelines). A Weight dist hitch is a good investment to make if your doing a lot of towing (plus you've already spent money on the hitch, wiring, and Brake control so whats an extra $200).

I still stress that you should check your owners manual first....
Old 01-14-2000, 04:29 AM
Inactive User

Very good points made by other entries!! I tow with my 95 RAM (5.9, tow package, max cooling) and after installing a trans temp gauge I added a third cooler of to the right of the radiator to keep things at a proper operating temp. If you plan on towing over 5000 lb I would want a gauge and if you operate in the hills go with the 3.91 gears if available.
Old 01-14-2000, 05:39 AM

Cool

The Dartman and Christopher hit the nail on the head. Purchase a weight dist. hitch. It makes a night and day difference when towing. It distributes the weight evenly between the tow vehicle and the trailer. It also helps out on keeping the tow vehicle under control during panic stops. I'd never tow anything without one.

Check out the Feb. issue of Hot Rod magazine, there is a very good article on towing in it.

HV

[This message has been edited by hemivaliant (edited January 13, 2000).]