Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Inactive User

Default Brake upgrade B body.

If I put this in the wrong place...please move to the correct forum.

I have a 68 RR that I am FINALLY ready to put back on the road. I have the 10 inch brakes and want to convert to the 11 inch disc brake setup.

I read a article on this swap, can't find it now. I am wondering if anyone has the the link or the list of the parts needed. I remember this was done using stock, easily findable parts.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

http://www.moparaction.com/index.html

look for the article called disc-o-tech in the tech archives. post if you run into any problems with this, you can't swing a dead cat by the tail around here without hitting someone who has done the swap personally. I did it, and it is as advertised
Old 09-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

You may be okay, but the only thing I'm aware of that article not covering very well is a clearance problem with the sway bar mounts and the calipers on early B bodies. With the calipers in the forward mounted position they can hit on full lock. If you use the A body steering knuckle as per the article, all you do is switch them to the other side. It doesn't affect the geometry and it moves the calipers to the rear mounted position, requiring only a set of longer brake hoses which you may have to have made. I switched to the 11" rotors on my Charger, and until a couple of guys on this forum put me straight as to how to fix the clearance issue, I thought I was looking at an aftermarket sway bar, or even a late model K member/suspension swap. Good luck
Old 09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladr
If I put this in the wrong place...please move to the correct forum.

I have a 68 RR that I am FINALLY ready to put back on the road. I have the 10 inch brakes and want to convert to the 11 inch disc brake setup.

I read a article on this swap, can't find it now. I am wondering if anyone has the the link or the list of the parts needed. I remember this was
done using stock, easily findable parts.

Thanks.
I did my '68 RR and I took all the parts off a 73 Plymouth Sat X cop car. They are rear mounted calipers so there was no problem with the sway bar. The only problem I had was to grind the corner of the lower shock bolt for the caliper to clear on full turn. Also you will have to reuse the tierod bracket ,I think it's the lower ball joint, from the drum brakes. All you need to do is unbolt it from the drum back plate and switch it with the ones on the disc. I know there is a lot of info that says this system wil not work but I had it alighned and it goes perfictly streight down the interstate at 80 MPH with one finger on the wheel. At the shop I had them put on all new ball joints and tierod ends. Don't skimp on this and you wont believe the differance. Ask the deer I meet about 3 weeks ago. I got stopped with 3 feet to spare, had I still had the front drum system I would be looking for a new front clip. By the way you will need a disc brake master cyl. The drum brake one has a valve that holdes pressure on the brakes all the time.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

The 73 sat brake spindles are one inch taller so that will affect some geometry. The pin type suck any way.
As for Brake lines I used steel braided ones, you can get em any length and they are far cheaper, just need an -an adapter and a caliper adapter. On my 68 I have the calipers on the back side and it works fine, the are off a A body.
I have a 69 valiant, thats a little harder to do as upper ball joints have diff sized tapers from older a's to newer a's and they just dont bolt together like my b body did.