Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Inactive User

Default B-Body Torsion Bars - Part II

You guys were so helpful on my first set of torsion bar questions, I thought I'd go back to the experts with Round II. Thanks to evryone's advice, I got the old bars out of my `67 Belvedere w/o problem. I've purchased a new set of larger bars (0.92" dia) as I'm planning to go back with a RB motor. The new torsion bars arrived today - I'm ready to install them but want to make certain I get them on correctly. I realize that the bars are maked "L" (for driver's side) and "R" for passenger side. But the bars seem to have a slight bow in them, which I assume is normal. a. Is it critical when installing the bars to align the "bow" in a particular orientation? (I assume the bow serves some useful function...) b. Is it critical which end of the bar goes into the socket on the lower control arm? Each end of the bar is marked differently - one end "780R/413" and the other end "780R/2CU". I'd like to put this in only once.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Inactive User

Red face

Hey Steve,I just dont know what to tell ya about the bow,Ive never noticed one being bowed before but mabeye so.Installation is the reverse of removal so look at your old ones to get an idea.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

I installed .92 bars in my ride... didn't see any bow in them... maybe a new thing????

The only thing the guy advising me (27 year Mopar mech veteran) told me was make sure left was left and right was right and be sure the keeper was seated correctly.

Use a set of scales to get even weight. I used another car like mine to get a starting ride height.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

I guess I lied.... my buddy just told me, I put .96 in not .92 so I can't say if the .92 have a bow or not, my .96 didn't.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Default Toraion Bars - Part II

Hey guys - thanks for the info. I feel like an idiot - I got the bars on a good flat table and there is NO bow in them. The hex ends are rotated a bit from each other so the bar doesn't sit flat on one end. This causes the end to appear to be higher than the other, hence the bowed look. A big duh on this end.
Larnin' slowly...
Steve