Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

Default Big Block Cooling

I'm installing a stroked 440 (about 500 ci) in my `67 Belvedere. The car originally came equipped with a 273 but I acquired the car as a rolling chassis. The original radiator is also long gone. Thinking I needed more cooling, I order a brand new BB radiator from Year One. Lo and behold - it won't fit on the existing radiator mount (too wide). Big duh on my part...shoulda known. So.... I purchased a BB radiator support through e-bay. It's in pretty crappy condition (rust out), but could probably be grafted into my `67 to allow the new BB radiator to bolt in. I want to keep the car as stock looking as possible - restored to as near original condition as possible. I haven't been able to find anyone in town who could cut apart the donor radiator core and graft it into my car - and make it look decent. At least not at a price I could afford. So my question is this: Could I go back with a brand new small block radiator (swap out my Year One piece) and add an electric pusher fan on the front of the radiator. I already have a high volume water pump, so there should be plenty of flow. The car will be used primarily for show and weekend cruising, with an ocasional blast down the 1/4 mile.
Cost is definitely an issue here, but avoiding overheating is critical.
Thanks
Steve Kennedy
Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 PM

I would recommend the use of a big block rad. If you use a small rad and a high flow pump the coolant can pass through the rad too fast not allowing efficient heat exchange.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Inactive User

before you do that, maybe get a used sb radiator and have the tanks installed on a new high efficiency core. it would probably cost the same or less than the YO piece.

unfortunately, you won't know what you can get away with until it's in the car with the motor running.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

If you used a triple core for the small block you might get by with it,found on factory A/C vehicles.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:49 AM

I found a 3 core WIDE radiator out of a AMC 360 Cherokee that even fit my originally 273 equipped '65 A so I bet it would fit yours, and the outlets were in the correct locations too. Wall to wall radiator with custom mounts (cut and bent/twisted flange to mount to frame rail , works pretty good) I still have the 2 and 3 core original radiators for the '65 Auto and the '64 Manual (narrower for some reason, but still 3 core?). I think they are worth more than a 10 buck core at pick a part!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:00 AM
Inactive User

Why not just cut the radiator opening wider? That's what I have done in my car and am using a Griffin radaitor that goes from one frame rail to another. No water temp problems.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Well he doesnt want to chop it up and he shouldnt have to.Its a B body and Chrysler put big blocks in them all the time.With the right one in there it will work fine.Might need to do some drilling is all.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:35 AM
Inactive User

If I were to change the radiator support, it would look like having been chopped more than just widening the opening.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

Arrow

Well sure I guess but you didnt need to change it so I am sure it looks great.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Big Block Cooling

Hey guys - thanks for all the feedback. The big block radiator core support can be cut and grafted into my car and will look factory original. Just a lot of work. Finding a brand new 22" radiator (regardless of the # of cores) that will bolt to the original core support will be difficult - have to find an old one and get it recored. Think I'm going to take the coward's way out and do as some of you suggested - just drill holes and bolt the larger radiator to the existing core support. I did a mock-up last night and it looks pretty close to factory stock. Only lose about 1-1/2" of fins on each side of the opening. Installing an electric fan in addition to the factory fan should make up for the lost air flow.

Keep them great suggestions coming!
Steve
Old 09-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Inactive User

If the only consideration was cooling the motor, a be cool direct fit aluminum rad fits the 22" support. since it is a cross flow, only about 22 of the 26 inches they advertise is actually "core"

But, original look is important to you. I like the idea of trying to put the 26" downflow stocker in there. it has to be a little better than a 22, even if not all the core is exposed to the opening.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

If you have a dercent shroud and a good old 5 or 7 blade mopar fan it will work just fine.Flex fans are dangerous,clutch type dont care for high Rs.Yes I know the old stockers use up ponies but when you have that many to start with it doesnt matter.